Sunday, February 10, 2013

2013 Topps Commemorative MVP Award Albert Pujols

I am still working on putting together some more cards from the first series of 2013 Topps.  I know some people are probably ready to move on to other things, but this has really been the best base set that Topps has put out in several years.  I've completed my base set and several of the non-autographed, non-manufactured item insert sets.  I have now started to turn my attention towards finding a few of the nice manufactured items along with a few autographs or nice relic pieces.  The selection of Cardinals and Rays relics and autographs in the first series is limited, so a lot of my attention has been focused on the manufactured items which are very nice this year.  Yesterday, I added a nice Matt Kemp Silver Slugger award, but today I have a Cardinals card to share.  The Commemorative MVP award cards are a manufactured item with the MVP award being made out of a thin piece of metal.  The cards are about the thickness of a half-dollar.


2013 Topps Commemorative MVP Award Albert Pujols

I was happy to see that Topps threw in a card of Albert Pujols in a Cardinals uniform and picked this card last week.  It showed up in my mailbox yesterday and was excited to add it to my collection.  Upon taking the card out of its packaging I noticed one peculiarity on the card.  The picture on the card features Pujols wearing a Cardinals uniform, but the faux MVP trophy shows him as the American League MVP directly above his name in the center of the plaque.  However, Pujols has never won an MVP award as an American League Player.  



Flipping the card over on the back, the card seems to recognize the accomplishments of Pujols during the 2005 season, which was his first of three MVP awards.  However, Pujols won the award in the National League playing for the Cardinals.  I took a quick glance around Ebay and Check Out My Cards and found that all of the Pujols MVP award card feature this glitch.


2012 Topps Heritage Minor League Kolten Wong Jersey

I traded for the Pujols card and was able to pick up a second card in the trade.  This Kolten Wong card hails from the 2012 Topps Heritage Minor League set.  Wong seems destined to be the Cardinals second baseman of the future, so I have been trying to add cards here and there of the former University of Hawaii star.  The jersey piece on this card is pretty cool too.  It's clearly a piece of powder blue jersey, which none of the Cardinals minor league teams wear.  However, Wong appeared in the 2012 All-Star Futures Game in Kansas City and the players in the game wore powder blue jerseys.  Another nice addition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....