Tuesday, January 2, 2024

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 1

My first Blake Snell autograph of the new year is one of the older Blake Snell autographs that was missing from my collection. I am closing in on my 100th Blake Snell autograph, so most of my early efforts for 2024 are going to be filling in the holes from previous years. Today's card comes from the 2016 Topps Archives 65th Anniversary set.  

Here is the front of the card: 


The 65th Anniversary set is different from the Topps Archives set. These cards were sold at Wal Mart. My main interest in them was the Bull Durham inserts, but they also featured a ton of autographs. Most of the players signing for the 65th Anniversary set were veteran or retired players, but Topps also included a handful of rookie autographs. Snell was one of those rookie autographs.  

The front of the card has the 1989 Topps design, a nice photograph of Snell pitching, and his signature going across lower half of the card.  

It's a fine looking card. The back is where this card gets messy.  


The back of the card uses the 1975 Topps back, along with all of the other autographs in the 2016 65th Anniversary Set. It just seems weird to make a set with random card designs for an autograph set using a random, non-matching card back. 

Why not use a 1989 Topps card back with the card front or a 1975 card design for both the front and back?

Still happy to own the card, which is a rookie autograph, and it brings me closer to 100 Blake Snell autographs. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking card... but you're right it's weird they used the 1975 card back with the 1989 card front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the mix of designs either. The front works well though, and the placement of the signature is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snell is really good about not signing over the blue jersey on his Rays cards. It is much appreciated.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....