Thursday, January 11, 2024

Random Ray: 1997 Bowman Chrome

The 1997 Bowman Chrome set is really underrated. It was the first Bowman Chrome set. I love the design and it's got a great checklist. There are rookie cards of players like Adrian Beltre, Lance Berkman, and Miguel Tejada. I am probably forgetting a few other players. There are also early cards of Roy Halladay, Nomar, and Jeter. What else do you want out of a Bowman product?  

There are also a handful of veteran cards, including Ray Lankford.  

Here is the front of the card.  


The Bowman base set and Chrome design varied in 1997. The Bowman base set had solid black borders while the Bowman Chrome product had stripes. Both are appealing and I like the contrast between the dark stripes or black border and the red inner border on the Cardinals cards. 

The Ray Lankford card has a nice action shot of him running the bases. Looks like he is trying to avoid being hit by the ball in between bases. The Cardinals have good looking uniforms. Not surprisingly, the red Budweiser sign in the background has been air brushed out.  

Back of the card.  



I love the Bowman card backs where it shows the player stats versus individual teams. The cards from the early 1990s had more stats, like hits and runs for the position players, but I still like this simplified version with the player picture on the right side of the card.  

That stat line against the Cubs is glorious. 

That stat line against the Braves is not so glorious.  

    
The player picture on the left is interesting in that Lankford is wearing a batting helmet without any ear flaps, which was against the rules at that point. The Cardinals still had Gary Gaetti and Ozzie Smith wearing the flapless batting helmets at this point, but they were grandfathered in because of age. Although the helmet is labeled "16" and clearly belongs to Ray. Must have been something he wore around during batting practice.  

6 comments:

  1. I had started to cut back my hobby spending in 1997 and Bowman Chrome was a little out of my league. I was also splitting my money between baseball and hockey that year, so I don't think I ever opened any packs of this stuff. That being said... I do like the look of it and have picked up a few singles for my collection over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't spend a ton of money on the early Bowman and Topps Chrome products either, but filled in with cheap wax boxes in the early 2000s. For awhile the 1997-1999 Bowman Chrome boxes could be had for less than $40 on Ebay and at card shops. Totally took advantage.

      Delete
  2. I can see why people would like this design, but it's not one of my personal favorites. I think the only card I own from the set is a David Justice refractor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fellow Ray Lankford collector! Hello!!

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....