Sunday, January 7, 2024

Around the Card Room, Take 15

Today is National Bobblehead Day, so I thought I would choose one from my shelf for today's post.  

I know some of these items have really good back stories, but this one is simple.  

Here is a Matt Holliday bobblehead that I bought in 2011.  


I decided to add a few different items to my collection after the Cardinals won the 2011 World Series and this bobblehead was one of them. If you don't remember how the Cardinals season ended in 2011, let me refresh your memory.  


It was also the season that Albert Pujols left the Cardinals to sign with the Angels, so Matt Holliday was the big offensive star still left on that team. He would have a few more good seasons in him and I was a pretty big fan.  If you read the early posts of the blog, which started in 2012, there are a lot of Matt Holliday cards.  

Here are the other views of the Matt Holliday bobblehead:




Love that this bobblehead captures Matt Holliday's batting stance and his large front leg kick. He was a really good hitter. Holliday's physique may be a little underrepresented on this bobble.  


Kind of wild to think that a little more than a decade after buying this bobblehead, Matt Holliday's son is now a Triple A baseball player who was largely responsible for eliminating my Durham Bulls from the playoffs last season.  

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of Holiday. I should probably just remember him for his positive contributions to the Rockies and Cardinals... but his short stint in Oakland is what I always turn to first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't fully understand why the A's trade for Holliday thinking they were going to get even more in return half a season later. It was a bit of a head-scratcher.

      Delete
  2. Holiday was a great player for the Cardinals, but seems overlooked. A lot of fans remember him for his error in the playoffs against the Dodgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that and the infield fly play against the Braves in the Wild Card Game. Ignore years of good production for two bad defensive plays.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....