Friday, January 12, 2024

Let's Talk Tobacco

Two years ago, I worked on putting together a set of 1964 Topps Giants cards. It took me roughly a year to complete, but was fairly inexpensive compared to other 1960s baseball card sets. Giants was a fun project for three reasons:

1.The set was small

2. The cards are inexpensive outside of a few short prints

3. It's a good looking set. 


I have decided to work on another card project based largely based on the fact that it largely fits the same criteria as the Topps Giants set. So, for the next year or so, I will be tracking down cards from the 1952 Red Man Tobacco set trying to put together a complete run of 52 cards. 

The good news is that I already have three cards from the set, which leaves me with 49.  

Here are the three, all of which are missing their bottom tab.  



Obviously Stan is one of the better cards in the set and I have a really clean copy. I would love to upgrade to a clean copy with the tab attached to the bottom of the card, but that is low on the priority list. In fact, I am fine collecting cards without the tabs. Feels like that may make this an easier project, less expensive too.  

There is also Eddie Stanky.  


This is another very clean card.  Love the pinkish background.  

Last.....


Alright, Red is a little rough around the edges with a few other creases. He's going to get replaced at some point during this project.  

So, here is where we stand on this project.  

I need 49 cards. I have:

National League: 

16. Stan Musial 

19. Al Schoendienst 

23. Eddie Stanky 


6 comments:

  1. Love the '64 Topps Giants. That Koufax is sharp!

    Good luck with the '52 Red Man set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of these sets! Best of luck on the 52 Red Man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Red Man sets. I've thought about trying to collect them, but just have too many other things going; though I'd never turn down a cheap one were I to come across it. I think that this set might take you a little longer than the Giants did, especially if you're going for crease-free copies. Although if the tabs aren't too important, that should make thinks a bit easier. Your Musial is really nice, have you had that long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the Musial for a few years now. Crease-free is huge for me on this project and I know there are a lot of creased copies floating around. You're right, it could cause the project to drag out.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....