Sunday, January 28, 2024

Random Ray - 1993 Upper Deck Home Run Heroes

I am a huge fan of the 1993 Upper Deck set. Simple design, great photography, it might be my favorite Upper Deck product of all-time. If you have not checked out the 1993 Upper Deck set blog written by Night Owl, you are missing out.  

Here is the front of the card........


Wrigley always makes a great background for baseball cards. The ivy wall is the obvious answer, but the short brick wall behind home plate is also a classic landmark for those of us who are old enough to have watched day Cubs games on WGN in the summers. 

Beyond the background, I love the action shot of Ray Lankford hitting. He had a great left-handed swing and always hit well against the Cubbies. In fact, in 158 career games against the Cubs, Lankford had 23 home runs, 7 triples, 30 doubles, and 26 stolen bases. 

I loved the blue Cardinal hats in the 1993 card sets. The team stopped wearing them in the late 1960s and brought them back as their road hat in 1992 as part of their 100th Anniversary. The patch on Lankford's sleeve is also part of the 100th Anniversary. 

A closer look at the patch......



Back of the card.  


This is a really good write-up about Lankford, his skill as a player, and his potential to be a star when he was a younger player. The Cardinals were not very competitive during the early 1990s, so it's nice that someone at Upper Deck was aware of a good player on a team that was a perennial mediocre team at best.  

5 comments:

  1. When it comes to photography... 1993 Upper Deck is one of the greatest sets from the 90's. Back when it came out, I walked away from the hobby, so I never opened any packs. Pretty sure I only discovered how nice of a set it was from fellow bloggers and their posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a box of both Series 1 and 2 at Target while I was in college. Opened both up and then filled in singles to make the set over the course of a year of so.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I have a Lankford for you that I promised over a year ago. Couldn't find your email so sent you a message on TCDB (knowing that you hadn't logged in for a while).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I've never thought of Ray Lankford as a "home-run hero", but I guess if it's on a card it must be true then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought of him as a home run hero either. I guess Upper Deck was trying to be ahead of the curve on his career.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....