Saturday, August 4, 2012

2005 Topps Fan Favorites Ron Gant

I really enjoy collecting the Cardinals and am especially fond of the 1990's Cardinals.  The team didn't win much during that decade, but I really enjoyed watching the teams play and attended a ton of games.  It was also a point in my life where I really took off with my baseball card collection.  Since that time I have slowly tried to amass as many Cardinals autographs as possible.

Sometimes the process of acquire Cardinals autographs is painful.  For example, Tino Martinez played for the Cardinals.  Tino Martinez also really wanted to play for the Yankees while he was playing for the Cardinals, couldn't hit home runs without the right field fence in Yankee Stadium, and excelled at rolling into double plays.  Now, a goal is a goal.  He wore the birds on the bat, so I need an autograph.  Luckily, I found one that was damaged and cost me under $5.  Job well done.

2004 Upper Deck USA Baseball Tino Martinez Autograph 



Which brings us to a card that I picked up this week on the cheap.  It's a Ron Gant.  In 1995, Ron had a really good season with the Reds and lead them to a playoff appearance.  It was a nice story coming off a motorcycle accident.  Gant signed with the Cardinals that off season and hit 30 home runs in his first season while missing about thirty games due to injury.  He helped the 1996 Cardinals get to within one game of the World Series.  Nice start.  In 2007, Gant hit .229 with 17 homers and 162 strikeouts.  In 2008, he hit .240 and managed 26 bombs.

Fortunately, in between the 1998 and 1999 seasons the Cardinals traded Gant to the Phillies for Rickey Bottalico and Garrett Stephenson.  I still needed a Ron Gant autograph.  Check.

2005 Topps Fan Favorites Ron Gant Autograph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...