Saturday, August 31, 2024

This Isn't Your Best Work

I have had really bad luck with scanners and printers over the years. It all started during my final week of graduate school at NC State. I had to assemble a portfolio of work from a year-long internship. I did a good job of keeping up the portfolio during the school year, but the final week a bit of a mad dash to make sure everything ended up in my file crate. Lots of emails, documents, and other assorted articles were printed and filed.  

On the Thursday night before my Friday final, my printer died. I went to the local Office Max, picked out a printer that was on-sale, and finished my work in the wee hours of Friday morning. That sale printer would last me roughly a year before dying and was replaced in similar fashion. Its replacement would also only last a year or two. 

I bought my current printer on a Saturday morning in October of 2016. My parents were in town to visit my newborn daughter.  I was taking my father to the Duke/Virginia Tech football game, needed to print off paper tickets, and could not get my printer to work.  I went back to the Office Max and bought a printer that was not on-sale. I also checked the internet for reviews and found that Canon made excellent printer/scanners.  


Virginia Tech won. 

Every card that has appeared on this blog during the past eight years has landed on the scanner of that printer and I have generally been happy with the results. 

Well, not this morning. 

This is my latest Blake Snell card.......


This is a picture of my latest Blake Snell card......


This isn't your best work, Cannon printer/scanner, but I am willing to forgive and forget. 

8 comments:

  1. The past two scanners I've purchased have been Canon. Overall... I've been happy with them. But they aren't perfect by any means. Like you pointed out, the colors can sometimes be off. By the way... that Definitive patch is sweet! My other issue with my Canon scanners is they never capture the beauty of refractors. But I'm wondering if there is any scanner out there that can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure that any scanner is great with refractors, if one existed I would buy it in a second.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I think I want that card ... I've given up on printer/scanners. Maybe one day I'll go back but I'm still mad at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures work well on your blog, Night Owl. I am not sure I'd go back if I were you.

      Delete
  3. And that's why I don't use a scanner......although not really.

    On the bright side, that Snell card is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not had great luck with scanners over the years, but since I tend to go for the cheaper ones it could just be one of those "you get what you pay for" things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expensive ones break, cheap ones break. I feel like I need to engineer a decent scanner after I am done teaching.

      Delete

Two Terrific Tajs

The Taj Bradley collection has crossed into double digits, but the blogger posts are still not numbered. At least, not for the moment. At wh...