Thursday, August 8, 2024

Holy $&%$, It's The Candy Convention Card!!!!!!

Two years ago, I posted a Ray Lankford card out of the 1991 Score All-Star FanFest Set. Included in the post was a story about a local card shop owner who tried to sell me a similar card that came from a Candy Convention in St. Louis. At the time, I passed on the Candy Convention card, which I later deeply regretted. It turns out the Candy Convention Ray Lankford card is pretty rare.  

Here is the FanFest card.  



Note the banner underneath the write-up, which identifies the card as a part of the "1991 Major League All-Star FanFest" set. This is a really common card, easy to find.  

Well, after posting the card, I received a comment from a reader who was also trying to track down a copy of a Candy Convention card of former Blue Jays player Ed Sprague. More comments followed indicating that they had found a copy of the Ray Lankford and a promise to forward the card on once the commenter received it from COMC.  

Well, a few weeks back I got a white envelope with a print out of the blogger comment section and note.....


and inside the note was a top loader with a baseball card........




Holy $&%$, It's The Candy Convention Card!!!!!! 

I cannot thank Derek enough for sending this card along to me! It's my current favorite baseball card and it will always have a prominent home in my collection of Ray Lankford cards.  

10 comments:

  1. Very nice of Derek to help you out with that HTF Ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best cards I have ever been gifted, still blown away by the generosity.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Very cool of Derek to hook you up with that super rare card. Hope he eventually tracks down a Sprague for his collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to snag the Sprague as well!

      Delete
    2. One of the best cards I have ever been gifted. Incredibly generous.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was my pleasure! When I saw it, I had to make a choice - leave it on COMC and let Eric know and risk someone else picking it up or buy it. So I bought it. Then tried to set the resell value to something absurdly high with offers open so that Eric could offer me a penny but I think 10% was the lowest offer option that could be set. So it waited 2 years instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on getting your much desired card! I feel like I sometimes take a lot longer than I should to send people stuff that I've told them about in advance, but two years, that's something. Good on Derek for following through. That says a lot about the quality of his person.

    ReplyDelete

High School Kids at Target

I have largely avoided the card aisle at Target during the past six months. There is just nothing there that has sparked my interest this ye...