Sunday, September 1, 2024

Famous Last Words

I stopped by my local card shop a few days back. The shop had moved across the parking lot to a larger storefront a few weeks back and I was excited to see the new digs. Needless to say, it did not disappoint. I probably should have taken some photos inside the shop, but my mind was on cards.  

Here are the latest pickups at Triangle Area Trading Cards.  

First up......


You see a great card from your childhood and it's cheap, it's really hard to pass up. The card is off center and there is some chipping on the edges, but this is a great card. Could not pass it up.  I need to post my first Rickey Henderson rookie on here one of these days, because it's a really good story from my childhood.  


Luken Baker has hit a ton of home runs the last two years with the Cardinals Triple A team. They've left him in the Minors most of the time, given the Cardinals track record, it's only a matter of time until Baker is a really good player on some other team.  Decent autograph, cheap card. Go team.  


I spent some time in Michigan this summer, which included watching a decent number of Tigers games. I had been meaning to pick up a Reese Olson card all summer long, but never got around to it.  He's a really impressive young pitcher, think this will be a good pickup in the long-term.  


An old Archives autograph for cheap. Yes, please.  


A newer Archives autograph for cheap. Yes, please.  


Esteban played for the Durham Bulls a few years back.  He's spent most of his career playing in Mexico, but spent time in the Minors with the Red Sox, Rays, and Phillies with a cup of coffee in the Majors with the Cubs. Lovable player, spark plug type. I am glad that someone gave him a baseball card and had him sign a few autographs.  


Zack Gelof is having a terrible year, but I still like him. I saw him play in college while he was at the University of Virginia. He was also on my fantasy baseball team last year. Let's hope for a better 2025.  


Next up, Luis Arraez. I loved the Silver Slugger cards when Topps made them back in the early 2010s, this one is not as thick, but still a really nice card. Serial numbered to just 10 copies, but it's on the back.  Sorry, no back scans today.  

A little bit quicker......


Masyn Winn, Junior Caminero Finest RC, and a cool Taj Bradley Chrome parallel.  

Cal Raleigh RC, Willy Adames RC, and another Masyn Winn.  

Shiny Big Mac, Xavier Issac should be the Durham Bulls first baseman next year, and a Jordan Walker.  

Shiny cards of Yordan Alvarez, Willson Contreras, and a Satchell Paige with the Browns.  

Last, let me tell you about the blaster box I bought. I saw the 2024 Donruss packs and boxes at the counter, decided why not. Let's try a few packs. Ninety-nine percent of the box was terrible and I am not going to waste my time scanning the cards, nor waste your time reading about the terrible cards. 

It was the last thing I said as I was checking out. "Let me get a box of 2024 Donurss"

Famous last words and it turns out that 1% of the box was pretty spectacular.  



8 comments:

  1. A. Nice Rickey! One of the biggest downsides to living in the Bay Area is that you will never see a "cheap" Henderson rookie card. Congratulations on the find.

    B. That Pence autograph is cool. I will have to track down one of those for my Archives Fan Favorite auto collection.

    C. Congratulations on pulling a Skenes autograph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. One of the benefits of collecting baseball cards in a basketball first market is the fact that there are occasionally some really nice deals on baseball cards.

      B. I always liked Hunter Pence even though he never played for any of my teams. I actually own a few other Pence autographs, fun player to collect.

      C. I was pumped!!!

      Delete
  2. NICE Gelof auto! He was on my team last year too, the team that won the championship (my first ever fantasy championship).

    Skenes auto??? That's crazy! My card shop always advertises their packs with the possibility of a Skenes auto, but getting one is something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think Gelof's power as a second baseman won me first place last year. This card shop does nothing to advertise Skenes, which you think they would. Then again, it's North Carolina and he's not a basketball player from a school that wears blue.

      Delete
  3. Whoa, I never thought of that before ~ is that a chrome flavor of a reverse negative? That's like from another dimension....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a reverse negative Topps Chrome card. It's a beaut.

      Delete
  4. Childhood stories are usually some of the better stories, so please don't wait to long to tell your Rickey story. I really like the Johnny Callison autograph. He's a guy that I never thought to even look for certified autographs of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Henderson story is good, I will share one day soon. Callison is a totally under-the-radar player in the collecting world. Really nice player with good cards and cheap prices.

      Delete

Monday Morning Autograph - Albert Belle

  Today's Autograph: 1999 SP Signature Albert Belle  Why Do I Own This Card? Albert was a pretty incredible player. His career was too ...