Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Around The Card Room, Take 18

I am here this evening to talk about one of my biggest blogging fails.  

It all started when I decided I would live blog a Durham Bulls game ten years ago. 

I hung out at the American Tobacco Campus before the game and it got a short blog post.  



Love the water fountains, so relaxing after a long day at work. 

I bought dinner at the ballpark. It was a Pepsi and a hot dog. That dinner was a short blog post.  


The Bulls wore pink uniforms. That was a short blog post. Pictured is pitcher Alex Colome.  


Then the game started and disaster ensued. I thought I was going to see a loaded Durham Bulls team battle a loaded Syracuse Chiefs team. Each team scored a run in the first inning, but Syracuse than put up 11 runs in the second with Steven Souza collecting 5 RBIs.  


Kind of hard to blog about this kind of game.  

The live blogging came to a grinding halt and has not been attempted since.  

It was one of my bigger fails as a blogger.  

What am I left to show for this attempt at live blogging?  

Two things. 

First, I have a healthy collection of Steven Souza cards. He had a great 2014 season in Triple A, One of the better ones I have witnessed in the two decades I have followed Minor League Baseball. Souza was also a solid Major Leaguer for the Nationals, Rays, Diamondbacks, Cubs, Dodgers, and Mariners.    


Second, there was a bobblehead giveaway the night of my live blog attempt. The box and ticket were featured on the live blog, but the bobblehead was never shown.    


The bobblehead of Bulls outfielder Wil Myers has since left the box and resides in the baseball card room. Myers is a North Carolina native and was the top prospect in baseball at the time he was in Triple A, so it was a big deal that he was playing in Durham, 

Here is the front of the bobblehead.  



and the back of the bobblehead.  



I really like this bobblehead, even if it reminds me of my failed attempt to live blog a baseball game.  

6 comments:

  1. It sucks when you try something and an element out of your hands messes it up.
    The Myers bobblehead is pretty cool though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably should try live blogging another game sometime. It was a fun idea.

      Delete
  2. The Myers bobblehead is really cool. I love the floating bat. At least Durham reached the International League finals that season... and Syracuse didn't :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The floating bat is awesome. Definitely makes this a really unique bobblehead.

      Delete
  3. Live blogging sounds about as exciting as live tweeting, which in my opinion, was never very exciting. All it seems to do is clog up timelines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live tweeting is fun too, but Twitter is so much more negative in tone than Blogger. Someone is bound to get their feelings hurt or randomly get angry over something really minute.

      Delete

High School Kids at Target

I have largely avoided the card aisle at Target during the past six months. There is just nothing there that has sparked my interest this ye...