Monday, March 4, 2024

Around The Card Room, Take 16

I typically do not collect items from fast food restaurants, but I made an exception in 2002 when the St. Louis area McDonald's started selling Cardinals bobbleheads. Sadly, I do not remember many of the details surrounding these, nor could I find them online. I do not know how much the cost or when during the season they were released, but I have always liked them and these are an item that has a connection to my kids.  


Here is what I do remember.  The set was comprised of J.D. Drew, Albert Pujols, Fernando Vina, and Jim Edmonds.  A new bobblehead was sold each week at McDonald's and the base and autographed baseball were sold during the last week. I think. 

"I will take a J.D. Drew and an orange soda"

Here is the back of the bobbleheads, which are made from hard plastic and are not ceramic.  


Beyond housing all of my baseball cards and memorabilia, the card room is also a second floor family room for my kids. They have spent countless hours playing in the room and also use the television to watch movies. Playing usually means making sure they do not knock over piles of baseball cards, nor touch any of the things hanging on the wall. 

However, my daughter in particular has always been a huge fan of action figures and took an early interest in the bobbleheads that are in the card room. Since most are ceramic they are less than ideal action figures for the average toddler. However, the plastic Cardinals bobbleheads were a part of her play schemes for years, making them one of the few pieces of baseball memorabilia that I allowed to double as a play toy for my kids.  

Here are J.D. Drew and Jim Edmonds at the vintage Little Tikes Doll House.  



J.D. Drew enjoying snack time. 



She has moved onto American Girl Dolls and other toys, so I have reclaimed my McDonald's Cardinals bobblehead set and placed them back on a shelf in the card room.  They held up really well through years of toddler use.  

Hardly a scratch.  



Back home in their spot on a shelf of bobbleheads.  



4 comments:

  1. Cool set. When you mentioned plastic... it triggered a memory. The San Francisco Giants had a similar set of bobbles released the same year... but they partnered up with Carl's Jr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rams had bobbleheads with Hardees this same year. I believe they are related to Carl's Jr.. Something in the water that all these fast food chains had bobbles in the same year. Wonder why they stopped, both sets were very popular in St. Louis.

      Delete
  2. Another item with a great story attached to it. You seem to have an extraordinary amount of such items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it doesn't have a story attached to it, I generally don't keep it.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....