Monday, March 4, 2024

Monday Morning Autograph - Mark Mulder

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.

Today: 2000 Bowman Draft and Prospects Autographs Mark Mulder 



Why Do I Own This Card?

We all remember the Cardinals years of Mark Mulder? Hopefully you remember him pitching for the early 2000s Moneyball A's teams. He was traded to the Cardinals in December of 2004 for pitching prospect Dan Haren, catcher Daric Barton, and relief pitcher Kiko Calero. Mulder pitched decently in 2005, but then ran into shoulder problems which limited him to just 23 games in 2006, 2007, and 2008. It was a sad ending to an otherwise really good career. If you don't remember him on the Cardinals, do not go refresh your memory. It's not pretty, nor happy.  

The biggest highlight from his time with the Cardinals was hitting a home run on the first Opening Day at Busch Stadium III while also collecting a win against the Brewers.  


When Did I Get This card?  

I own several Mark Mulder autographs, all of them were bought post 2005 when the prices of his card tanked. 

Haiku About Mark Mulder 

Moneyball, pitcher 

Shoulder injuries, Big Trade 

Oh! What Could Have Been

Back of The Card 


Bowman cards from this era always have nice write-ups on the card backs, and this one is no different. They give mention to his college career, time with USA Baseball playing in the Pan Am Games, and his quick ascension through the Minors and into the A's starting rotation.  In all, Mulder only pitched 24 games, all in Triple A, before the A's made him a starter in the middle of the 2000 season.   

6 comments:

  1. Sad to see him struggle after such a great start to his career. It was cool when they had a Big 3 reunion towards the end of Zito and Hudson's careers. Zito pitched for the A's, Hudson for the Giants, and Mulder was in attendance to see them play against each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they did a reunion. I am going to have to go find those highlights. I loved the Big 3 from afar.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Poetry is something different for me, just getting started.

      Delete
  3. I saw him play quite a bit with the A's, but don't think I even knew that he was ever a Cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did not miss out on much if don't remember his Cardinals years.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....