Monday, February 5, 2024

Monday Morning Autograph - Rex Hudler

I own a couple of thousand autograph cards, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted before:

Today: 1996 Leaf Signature Rex Hudler 



Why do I own this card? 

Rex was briefly a Cardinal in the early 1990s. The team would not spend money on pitching, but there was money in the budget for a colorful utility player.  

When did I get this card? 

At some point in college. It's actually one of the first certified autographs that I owned. Not a pack pull, but a really cheap card store pickup. I would guess this came from 1,000,000 Baseball Cards in west St. Louis County.  

Good Rex Hudler story?

Tom Pagnozzi, Lee Smith, Frank DiPino, and a bunch of other Cardinals players gave Rex Hudler a stack of 100 dollar bills to eat a bug off of his hat.  




Card back. 


Look at this gem. Card companies did not need a filler with some giant "CONGRATULATIONS" note. It's Leaf Signature, you already know you are getting an autograph. Nice little paragraph of Rex Hudler playing all over the field and his career batting stats. I would have guessed lower than .257 for his career average. Maybe Rex was better than I remember.  

6 comments:

  1. I met the Wonder Dog at Winter Warm Up a few years back. Very colorful guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet. I have heard a few colorful Rex stories over the years.

      Delete
  2. Love this set for the on-card autos... but gotta say... they should have used the milking the cow photo instead :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple thousand autographs... geez-o-pete's!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to include a group photo of all the boxes of autographed cards in one of these posts.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....