Monday, February 19, 2024

Monday Morning Autograph - Doug Glanville

I own a couple of thousand autograph cards, the majority have never appeared on my blog.  Here is a random autograph that I never posted before:

Today: 1999 SP Signature Edition Doug Glanville 


Why do I own this card?  

I got this card out of a $10 pack of cards back in the day and I am sure I was angry that I landed Doug Glanville. Somehow, someway this card was never stuck on Ebay and just lingered in a box of cards for the past twenty plus years. However, it has gained some significance over the past two years.  

My daughter loves music. For years, I drove her to daycare and the soundtrack to my mornings was music from Disney Princess movies and other kid-friendly albums such as the Trolls World Tour. She would frequently sing along and talk about the movies. The songs were not my cup of tea, but it made my daughter's drive into daycare more enjoyable. 

Two years ago, she graduated preschool and began Kindergarten at the school where my wife teaches. We no longer commuted together, so I began driving my oldest to middle school every morning. In fact, I transferred my own teaching job to a school that was just a few minutes away from his middle school. My oldest does not mind music, but as a kid on the autism spectrum he enjoys things that are a little more low key on his morning commute.

Often, he reads books and talks me through what he is reading about and we listen to podcasts about baseball. One of our favorites is the Tuesday ESPN Baseball podcast, which features Doug Glanville and Jayson Stark. It's typically an hour plus show, so it lasts us a few commutes. We both really enjoy Glanville on the podcast whether he is interviewing someone, sharing his stories about his time in the game, voicing opinions, or trying to answer trivia questions. Always a good listen.

Over the past two years of listening to Glanville, my appreciation for his work has grown, and with it a better appreciation for his baseball cards. If you have never heard Doug speak, here is an excellent piece he did on Dusty Baker after he finally won a World Series with the Astros......




A Haiku About Doug Glanville 

Sunday night baseball 

Starkville podcast, Penn alumni 

Phils, Cubs, Rangers too 

Card back. 



Back of the Card Bonus Trivia?  

What player is the other DG card in the autograph checklist of the 1999 SP Signature Edition Set?

Clue- Think late 1990s hyped-up prospect who may have hit over .400 during a brief stint in the Majors thanks to some mile-high air.  

4 comments:

  1. I love the 1999 SP Signature autographs. Don't think I own the Glanville (nor have I listened to his podcast)... but I might have the other DG you're referring to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. came up at the same time as Helton, was supposed to be a huge power hitter.

      Delete
  2. Did every pack come with an autograph? I'd really like to think so if the packs were ten bucks apiece.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....