Saturday, February 24, 2024

Hello, 2024.

A recent trip to Target yielded my first packs of 2024 Topps. 


I kind of dig this year's design, so I was somewhat excited that they were in stock and not completely picked over. In my opinion, the cards look like a cross between the 1986 Topps cards and the neon "DOUGHNUTS" sign at Krispy Kreme Doughnut shops.  


I really like the 1986 Topps set and I also like Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, as long as they are being sold at their restaurant and not a grocery store. Krispy Kremes have to be hot or they're no good.  

Here are my firsts from my packs.

First card was Ronald Acuna.  


I also included a scan of the back of the card, because Acuna is card number 1. Convinient for set building purposes. Unfortunately, my second card was not card number 2, but I do like these card backs. 


I love how stolen bases happened last year. I miss the high totals of my childhood, which is probably another reason why I like the back of this Acuna card.  

First Cardinals card was Nolan Arenado.  



First former Durham Bulls player was Merill Kelly.  



He's turned into a really good pitcher. See the Diamondbacks in the World Series last year.  

A few other cards that were in my packs.....


Topps is doing holiday themed backgrounds this year. They were also in the Update set last year. I got three out of a blaster box. Springer is the best player in this group, but DeLuca was traded to the Rays and is a candidate to start the season in Durham. Seems like he might be a fun player to follow this year.  



We also have the 35th Anniversary reprints. Not sure why we have a Topps Heritage set at this point. I like the 1989 design, but the font is off on the player name. There is a Jim Edmonds autograph in this set, so I am sure I will go find that card at some point in the coming weeks.  

Best card I pulled was an Evan Carter blue framed parallel. He is the favorite to win the American League Rookie of the Year this season.  The card is serial numbered out of 800, but several copies have sold for north of $100 already. 

Here is the card......




I am going to file Evan Carter away for safe keeping.  Might have to revisit this card later this summer depending on how the Rookie of the Year chasr is going.  

I also got two yellow parallels. These used to be in the packs at Walgreens, but I am guessing that they are now in all retail packs seeing how I bought these cards at Target. Nice looking cards, love the Corbin Carroll.  


Last card for today. I also landed a Matt Olson Home Run Challenge card.  

Does anyone actually play these cards? I feel like I have a stack of them from the past few years that went unused.  I am sure you win something for playing, but I am not sure if it is worth my time and effort.  

Anyway, I like the 2024 Topps set, so I will be writing more about it throughout the summer.  

8 comments:

  1. I've never played the Topps Home Run Challenge, but that's because I'm usually late on opening up my Topps blasters. People have also sent me some over the years, but even then I haven't played. I think part of me doesn't want to damage the card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that has crossed my mind too. Those older Upper Deck Home Run Challenge cards never had a scratch element, you were just assigned a window of time for the player to hit a home run, if I am remembering the details correctly.

      Delete
  2. I would've liked to have tried a blaster, or whatever they're calling them now, but my Target just had jumbos and hangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hangers aren't bad, but I completely understand missing the jumbos.

      Delete
  3. I should have seen this post earlier. LOVE EVAN CARTER!
    Oh, and Home Run Challenge is nice. I've played it with Freddie Freeman last year, and... lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to play a Home Run Challenge card this year and see what happens.

      Evan Carter seems like he's going to be a stud.

      Delete
  4. I know nothing of Mr. Carter, but do know that I'd have a hard time sitting on a guaranteed $100 that isn't something for my own collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting on the Carter card is difficult, but he is probably the front runner for AL ROY. That's a $100 now, but probably worth more in a few months.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....