Monday, February 12, 2024

Monday Morning Autograph - Brian Stokes

I own a couple of thousand autograph cards, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted before:

Today:2007 UD Spectrum Brian Stokes 


Why do I own this card? 

Brian Stokes was a starting pitcher on the 2006 Durham Bulls. He went 7-7 with a 4.11 ERA in 23 starts with the Bulls. The Rays called up Stokes in September 2006, he made 4 starts with the team, and went 1-0 with an ERA of 4.88.  There were better players on the 2006 Bulls, but Stokes seemed like a solid pitcher and his cards were cheap.  

You might be thinking, he had an ERA over 4 in Triple A, that does not seem solid. 

It was the Devil Rays, not the Rays.  

When did I get this card? 

I guarantee you this was an EBay dumpster dive. The Rays were still a few years away from making the World Series and being considered good. When I first started collecting Durham Bulls players in 2006 and 2007, outside of Delmon Young and BJ Upton, the majority of prospect cards were just a few dollars.

Brian Stokes Career Teams In a Haiku 

Amateur Free Agent

P-Rays, Blaze, River Dogs, O-Rays

Bulls, Rays, Angels, Mets


I really hate when the only thing on the back of the card is a "Congratulations" form letter, unless it's from Richard McWilliam, then it's alright. As the kids would say, McWilliam is the "OG" of the Congratulations form letter. Plus, when you were opening packs of Upper Deck cards, anytime you saw that signature, you knew you were about to have your day made.  

4 comments:

  1. Whoa. That's a lot of autographs. I've never counted how many are sitting in my collection, but it's nowhere near that number. As for McWilliam... I've always wanted to add his autograph to my collection to go along with my Sy Berger auto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a quarter of them are Durham Bulls players. Easy to accumulate autographs when the roster of the team you follow largely turns over from year to year. Another quarter are Cardinals cards, the last 50% are all sorts of random players.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of him. He does have a neat signature though.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....