Tuesday, February 27, 2024

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 5

This is the 95th Blake Snell autograph in my collection and comes from the 2019 Topps On-Demand product "Momentum Rising", which featured cards of younger star players. The checklist included Fernando Tatis Jr., Vlad Guerrero Jr., Aaron Judge, Juan Soto, and many others including Blake Snell. Each set of 20 cards, which were painted by water color artist Richard Sullivan, came with one autograph. 

Naturally, the two-time Cy Young Award winning pitcher is likely the worst autographed card in the set. That's fine for me, because this card was dirt cheap.  

Here is the front of the card.   


I like the white card stock and border design.  

Is that a sticker autograph?  

Why, yes it is a sticker autograph signed by Blake Snell.  

How do I feel about the art work?  

I am not a huge fan of adults using water colors. 

How do I feel about water colors in general?  


My daughter really likes combining crayons and water colors. I think it's a good look. She's also in first grade, so it seems like an appropriate art medium.  

Are you being an art snob? 

Probably, but buy some oil based pants and put on a smock.  

Back of the card.  


Not much about Snell, but I did check to see if Richard Sullivan appeared on a team I watched while he was in the Minors. He never made it above Double A, so I am going to guess that I never saw him. Wish there was something more about Blake Snell here.  


6 comments:

  1. I personally prefer photographs over artwork for the baseball cards. Really cool auto nonetheless.

    If you don't know me, check out my blog:
    doncardwelllovesthisblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your blog yesterday. Welcome to the baseball card blogosphere!!!

      Delete
  2. I like artwork on some card products... like UD Masterpieces and of course 1956 Topps. But when done poorly it can hinder a product. Sullivan did a pretty good job on this card. My only complaint are the eyes. Snell kinda looks cross-eyed. By they way... your daughter did a great job. I remember doing a water color/crayon art project with my students back when I taught 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could go for some UD Masterpieces type of art work on a Blake Snell card. That would be a quick purchase.

      Delete
  3. As an adult whose just starting to try my hand with watercolors, I don't know whether I should laugh or be insulted :)

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....