Tuesday, February 6, 2024

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 4

This is the 94th Blake Snell autograph in my collection and my first from a Topps Dynasty Collection product. If you are not familiar with Dynasty, it is basically a one pack per box autograph product that costs upwards of $200 dollars. The cards are generally an on-card autograph with a large patch piece. Blake Snell has signed for the product several times over the years, but I have never forked over the money to purchase one of these cards.  

Even the really good Blake Snell autographs with cool patch pieces and really low serial numbers sell for way less than $200. More common patch pieces are typically under $50. When I set out to find a Dynasty autograph, that was the top end of my budget for this card and I did not even spend it all. I have no idea why someone would buy a pack/box of Dynasty, but their loss is my win.  

Here is the front of the 2019 Topps Dynasty Blake Snell autograph card, which is encased by Topps.  



The blue is patch material and the white is jersey material, making this a Rays home jersey. Too generic of a jersey piece to figure out where on the Rays logo this was cut. The serial number is also on the front with this card having a print run of just 10 copies. The autograph is Snell's standard form and effort.  

This is the most high-end Snell autograph in my collection by product, but I am not sure it would even rank in my Top 20 in terms of style, design, and collecting appeal. It's just a card with a high SRP, that's it.

Honestly, a little disappointing now that it is in my hand. I guess it's cool to own one Topps Dynasty card, but I think this is likely my last. Although, I imagine the person who pulled this $40 card out of a $200 box of cards was even more disappointed than I might be feeling.  


I am surprised that the back does not have a huge "CONGRATULATIONS" stamped across the top. I actually like that they mention his first Cy Young, as well as Snell leading the American League in a bunch of different statistical categories. I would say the back is better than expected.  

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on adding a Dynasty card to your collection. But at that price point, Topps should not include guys like Snell. Heck... the only Dynasty card in my collection is of Rickey Henderson and even that card didn't come close to the $200 pack price tag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outside of the dopamine rush from opening a pack of cards, I am not sure why anyone in their sane mind would open any high-end Topps product. Outside of pulling an autograph of a player like Trout, Ohtani, maybe Ichiro, it's likely going to be a player who does not break even with the cost of the box.

      Delete
  2. Even if I had the money to do so, there's no way that I could ever spend that much on a box with just one card in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Opening boxes can be really stupid sometimes, but Topps always finds takers.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....