Monday, January 31, 2022

Random Ray - 1991 Studio

The old Studio cards are some of my favorites from the early 1990s.  Where can you get a baseball card that tells you about Mark McGwire's love for Whitney Houston's music? Seriously, that is on the back of of a 1991 Studio card. I would have guessed that Mark McGwire was a hard rock guy, but what do I know?  

Ray Lankford's 1991 Studio was pretty informative, unlike his later cards for this product which were really repetitive. They were all stuck on the fact that he played football at a junior college and rushed for 1,000 yards. If you know that fact, you have nothing new to learn from most of the other 1990s Ray Lankford Studio cards.  

Here is the front of the card. 


Pretty standard 1991 Studio card with the black and white photo. I like this photo of Lankford in his warm-up jersey holding a bat. There were a bunch of different Studio sets over the years, but this one had the best photography. They did a great job of capturing the players and showing a little personality. Later issues felt like the scoreboard stock photos you see when you go to a game.    

Back of the card.  


I feel like there is nothing too surprising here. Maybe the fact that he enjoys tennis, but the rest seems kind of standard for a guy who grew up in the 1980s in southern California. Although, I would love to believe that he liked Reggie Jackson for his role in The Naked Gun as the Queen's assassin, rather than a left-handed hitting power hitter on the Angels during Ray's teenage years.  


The baseball career section is also quality work considering Ray Lankford only played about 30 to 40 games in 1990. Most of his at-bats came after the Cardinals traded away Willie McGee to the A's.  

2 comments:

  1. The backs are okay, but I've never cared much for the fronts. Given all of the things that Have come out in the last few years, I wonder if Ray is still watching The Cosby Show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it. Although, Ray once made the news for having all the windows at his house being broken out, because he hired a stripper to perform at a party at his house and he did not tip her. I think there have been a few paternity suits in there too. I love Ray Lankford the baseball player. I am not sure about Ray Lankford away from baseball.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....