Monday, January 10, 2022

Random Ray - 1996 Bazooka

I love the front of this card.  


Bazooka was a kid-friendly, inexpensive card product in it's 1990s format. The packs were around a dollar and you got a pretty healthy quantity of cards. It was a smaller set too, so it was really easy to put together. I love this field level picture of Ray Lankford standing on deck at the old Busch Stadium. Obviously the white home uniform is a giveaway, but if you airbrushed Lankford out of the picture I would still recognize the astroturf and dugout area.  

The Cardinals not only did not have a railing in front of the dugout for the majority of the time they played at Busch II, but there was also a set of stairs. You can't see the stairs in the picture, but you can tell the dugout is lower by looking at the blurred out player in the background. 

I hate the back of this card.  


What is even happening here?  Who is Zena?  Is she the Dodgers ball girl?  Why am I getting a "7 Bonus"?  Is there a Braves player on my team?  Funny Fortune?  I am overwhelmed and it's not in a good way. In the words of Roald Dahl's character, Mr. Fox, this card is a total.....


Just scroll back up to the top of the page and look at the front of the card again.  

6 comments:

  1. Whoa. Way too much going on the back. But I do like the simple design on the front and the photo selection on that card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In looking at the cards in the set, I was really surprised at the quality of some of the photographs. It's better than some of the recent Topps flagship sets.

      Delete
    2. I realize Topps has to cater to a variety of collectors who prefer different types of photography. I like well cropped action shots and photos like the Lankford that depict part of the game, but not part of the game (if that makes sense).

      By the way... if you want that Carter Capps card I pulled from that mystery box... email me your address and I'll send it your way. I'm sure I can find some former Bulls to toss in as well.

      Delete
    3. I appreciate the kind gesture, but I have a ton of his cards still hanging out in my closet. I have to pass, but again thank you for the offer.

      Delete
  2. I think kids were able to play a game with cards from this set, hence all of the stuff on the back. I'm pretty sure each pack came with an instructions card of some sort, but it's entirely possible that I'm wrong about that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I need to go through some boxes and see if I can find a direction card.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....