Saturday, March 14, 2015

Number 1000

My blog turned 3 earlier in the week and I am now hitting post 1000 in the same week.  It's crazy to think that I have written that many posts and even crazier to think that a couple of hundred people show up on this site on a daily basis and read my ramblings about baseball cards.  I said it earlier this week, and I will say it again now, thank you for taking time out of your day to stop by blog.

I had thought long and hard about what to do to celebrate my 1000th post.  I first noticed I was getting close sometime in December.  I considered a few different paths for this post, but I am going to make this post simple and focus on one baseball card which fits nicely into my collection.  I could have gone out and picked up something big, but instead decided to go for something more in the unique category.

Here's my card for post 1000:




First, I wish the scan were a little bit better.  I picked up the card from a collector in Puerto Rico and it is still en route.  I am actually using his scan of the card.

There have been 37 different posts about Ray Lankford on my blog before today, this makes 38.  I am guessing someone has a better Ray Lankford card then me, but I am extremely proud of my collection of cards of the 1990s Cardinals outfielder.  I have collected Lankford cards for more than 15 years, so I am basically at a point where there are very few cards left I need to add.  The list can be summarized as mainly printing plates and a few low serial numbered cards that are either nearly impossible to find, or too expensive.

Which brings me to my new Ray Lankford card.  I noticed this card floating around Ebay a few weeks back.  I had to do a little bit of research, but basically it's a legit card that was put out in 1990 after he spent the off season playing for the Indios de Mayaguez in the Puerto Rican Winter League.  Lankford actually had two cards in the set, the other will be here next week too.  This card is a League Leaders card celebrating Lankford for leading the league in triples.

The card itself was really inexpensive costing me less than $5 shipped.  It's also why it is probably crawling in between Puerto Rico and North Carolina.  I was surprised to see how many 1980s and 1990s players have cards in these sets.  If you have a player collection of someone from this era these cards and sets are definitely worth a look over.

6 comments:

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...