Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Alex "Don't Call Me Alexander" Colome

I added a few cards of Durham Bulls/Tampa Rays pitcher Alex Colome last year, but let his rookie signature in 2010 Bowman Platinum go.  I never really dug how Topps put "Alexander" on his rookie cards instead of Alex.  In fact, I had to go to Baseball-Reference and double check and make sure his name was actually Alexander.  It is....


If you are not familiar with Alex Colome let me give you the quick run down on the hard throwing right-hander.  In my opinion, he is a better pitcher at this point of his career than Jeremy Hellickson and I actually think that Colome and Enny Romero are going to be two bright spots in the Tampa rotation in the near future.  When is David Price getting traded again?  In three starts in Tampa last summer Colome gave up a total of 4 earned runs in 16 innings pitched with 12 strikeouts for an ERA+ of 173.  Pretty safe bet he's back in Tampa at some point this season for good.



 Colome has several autographs out on the secondary market, but this card was his first.  His signature is a little bit of a scrawl on this card, but it also happens to be his only on-card autograph.  Even if it does say Alexander, it's pretty nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....