Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Snorting Bull Awards: Newcomer of the Year

Byron Buxton

2013 Bowman Sterling Byron Buxton

Twins prospect Byron Buxton is the top newcomer to the baseball card hobby during the past year.   Buxton's cards have been scorching hot in popularity and in price.  A glance at Buxton's on the field performance shows an impressive line of .334/.424/.944 with 19 doubles, 18 triples, and 12 home runs.   There were also 55 stolen bases and 76 walks.  Impressive indeed.  While Buxton continues to put up big numbers in the minors I have not reached for a Buxton autograph card quite yet (I borrowed scan from a reader).  Have plenty of base cards and some sparkly insert/parallel type cards stashed away for the future.  Buxton's stellar numbers have come in the Rookie Leagues, Low A, and High A.  A good performance in the Eastern League at New Britian next year would likely make me feel much better about owning a high end card of a young player two years removed from high school.

Most base autographs of the Twins top prospect seem to settle in the neighborhood of $40.  While that's not an outrageous price to pay for a high end prospect autograph I view players like Oscar Taveras, Corey Seager, and George Springer as safer and more cost efficient bets.  Still given Buxton's patience at the plate, speed, and power I could be missing my chance to buy a Buxton autograph on the low end of the scale.  How much did Mike Trout autographs cost before 2012? 

Anyway you view the market on Byron Buxton cards I am excited to add some more of his cards to my collection in the coming year and I will even pick up an autograph or two along the way.  It will be exciting to see what the future holds for this great prospect...Maybe a trip to Rochester when they are playing the Durham Bulls? 

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the future holds for this guy.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....