Saturday, August 24, 2013

Two New Inception Cards

The Inception set has been out for awhile and I am still adding pieces to my collection.  The set lacks some of the star power of other Topps releases this season, but there are many things that I really like about the set.  First off, the set has a great design.  The cards remind me a little bit of the Five Star product released at the end of last year, but without the ridiculously thick card stock that chips.  Second, you have to love when card companies take time to get the players to sign the actual cards, not a bunch of stickers.  Third, while the set lacks the star power of other Topps set the prospects who signed for the set are high end prospects or are worthy of checking out.

Months after the sets release, I am enjoying the fact that the autographs seemed to have settled in price and allowed me to add a pair of great looking autographs for a small amount of money.  Less than $10 shipped.  My new cards:


2013 Bowman Inception Taijuan Walker Autograph 


The guy pitches in the Mariners minor league system.  He's got only 22 wins in four minor league seasons and this season his record stands at 8-10.  I partially understand the price of his cards if you are just looking at the superficial statistics like wins, but this guy is going to likely be a very good player.  While he is 8-10 in two stops at AA and AAA this year he is the youngest player in both leagues at 20 and is averaging more than a strikeout an inning while maintaining a three to one strikeout to walk ratio.

Baseball America rates him as the #5 overall prospect in the game and there are rumblings that he could be called up in a week when the calendar turns to September and the Major League rosters expand to 40.  I also understand collectors being cautious with Mariners prospects after the likes of Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoak, have left people with disappointment and lost investments.  I have a better feeling about Walker.  


2013 Bowman Inception Jake Odorizzi Autograph 

I also added another card of Rays prospect Jake Odorizzi.  I have added several others this summer including his Inception Jersey/Autograph.  Odorizzi is currently pitching for the Durham Bulls who just clinched their sixth International League Southern Division Championship in the past seven years.  I am guessing Odorizzi could get a spot start for the Rays down the stretch, but is likely in AAA until he is given a crack at the rotation next spring.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...