Monday, August 26, 2013

Favorite Non-Sport Ginters Part 2

Start this thread a few days back, but here's a look at my favorite non-sport Ginter cards from 2010 through the present 2013 set just released a few weeks back.


2010 Ginters
The 2010 Ginter set featured several non-sport sets with a good mix of topics and sizes.  Several of the sets were smaller with five and ten cards.  There were three large sets, Animals, Lords of Olympus, and Monsters of the Mesozoic.  The Animals set was a fifty card set and the latter two sets were each twenty-five card sets.  My personal two favorites from this set were the Monsters of the Mesozoic and the Sailors of the Seven Seas set.


2010 Topps Allen & Ginter Sailors of the Seven Seas Sir Francis Drake


2010 Topps Allen & Ginter Monsters of the Mesozoic Iguanodon 


2011 Ginters 
The 2011 Allen & Ginter set featured some really cool non-sport cards.  If I had to pick a favorite year for the non-sport Ginters this might be the one.  The sets, again, ranged greatly in size but there subjects included Animals in Peril, Bearded Figures (Brian Wilson included), Floating Fortresses, Step Right Up (Circus Themed), and my tow favorites Uninvited Guests and Mysterious Figures.  


2011 Topps Allen & Ginter World's Mysterious Figures D.B. Cooper 


The Mysterious Figures set includes The Man in the Iron Mask, Nostradamus, and famed high jacker D.B. Cooper.  It's a smaller set at only ten cards, but I really like the art work in the set.  Definitely worth checking into, but a few of the cards are a little bit tricky to find.


2011 Topps Allen & Ginter Lemp Mansion Uninvited Guests 

I had to get the Uninvited Guests set for the Lemp Mansion card alone.  This Ginter set features buildings and structures with a history of hauntings.  The Lemp Mansion has the reputation of being the spookiest and creepiest building in my childhood home of St. Louis.  If you are into ghosts and the whatnot here is The Lemp Mansion, as presented by The Ghost Hunters.  

2012 Ginters 
The 2012 Ginter set offered collectors a chance to collect cards of Historic Turning Points (Battles), Military Leaders, Giants of the Deep, Musical Masters, and People of the Bible.  The People of the Bible cards were not inspired by this Simpson's clip and Methuzula was not included.



Instead I have to side with the World's Tallest Buildings and Man's Best Friend as my two favorite non-sport sets from the 2012 release.  


2012 Topps Allen & Ginter World's Tallest Building Woolworth Building


I like the buildings on these cards.  Not only did Topps include some of the really tall buildings around the country, but they picked ones with personality.  Sorry, the Sears Tower (or whatever it is these days) is not cool looking, it's just really tall.  The Burj Khalifa has a little more personality. 


2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Man's Best Friend Collie

I do not own a dog, but the day is fast approaching when I will bothered unmercilessly until I cave and spend a Saturday afternoon driving through tobacco fields to find my son a dog.  I grew up with dogs, so I am coming to grips with the fact that I will own another one soon enough.  For the moment this is my son's favorite stack of cards to look at in my card room and he's taken over several of my dupes from this set.  Since my son loves this set, it makes the list.


2013 Ginters
I had to put together the baseball card set first, that is my priority, then start to assemble the non-sports cards.  It's still a work in progress and unlike the other sets on this list, none of these are complete, but they are my current targets.  First up is the Famous Finds set.  


2013 Topps Allen & Ginter Famous Finds The Tomb of Qin Shi Huang
  

I picked this set mainly for the card above which features the famous Terracotta Warriors.  I actually got to see the Terracotta Warriors in person at the Art Museum in Memphis while I was in college.  One of the coolest things I have ever seen in a museum, so I am putting together this set.  Some good looking card for sure. 

2013 Topps Allen & Ginter One Little Corner Sun

I liked the looks of the One Little Corner set, which features different bodies from space, so I made this my second non-sport target from the newest Ginter release.  I have about half of this set so far which is another non-sport collection that reminds me a lot of the original Ginter cards.  





1 comment:

  1. Great list! I'm really digging the "One Little Corner" set from this year (it's the only insert this year that I'm trying to collect, and I'm over halfway done as well), and I've been trying to see what some of the other good non-sport insert sets were. I had seen a few Monsters of the Mesozoic, so those looked cool, and I'm still trying to track down a copy of the Boston Terrier card from last year's set, since my wife and I had two of them before our kids were born. I'll havta check Part 1 to see what else I've missed. Bearded Figures sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...