Sunday, August 11, 2013

2013 Topps Allen & Ginter Henry Rollins Autograph

I do not do many non-baseball autographs and I cannot think of a single non-sport autograph in my entire collection.  I have pulled a few things out of different products over the years.  I got a Tina Carrere and Jesse Ventura autographs a few years ago out of a Donruss product while they were printing the fans of the game cards.  However, I quickly sold both cards and moved the money onto other cards.

Topps released its fantastic Allen & Ginter product this week which is always full of non-sport autographs.  The product is one of my annual pack busting experiences, but I have never pulled a non-sport autograph out of a Ginter pack.  In fact, I usually hope to just avoid the non-sport autographs all together and land my nice baseball related autograph.

Well, my streak of all baseball autographs out of Ginter ended this year when I was opening my box and landed an autograph of musician/spoken word artist/actor Henry Rollins.


2013 Topps Allen & Ginter Henry Rollins Autograph 


If you are not familiar with the work of Henry Rollins there is much to share, so I would point you in the direction of my favorite Rollins Band disc, but you also can't go wrong with his work in Black Flag.  I am not a consumer of spoken word material, so I am not going to tell you it's great, but people seem to enjoy it.  




Rollins has also appeared in several television series and movies.  I think the first movie I remember him being in was the mid 90s Al Pacino/Robert Diniro movie Heat.  Really, there is a lot the guy has done during his career.  Back to the card.

The one intriguing feature of this card that caught my eye was the signature.  Usually Topps provides signers with pens to sign their autographs which Rollins obviously did not use.  I am going with a Blue Bic pen on this card.  Pens on cards are a rarity.  In fact, after pulling this card I went back through my autographs, all 4,000, and tried to find another card signed with an ink pen.

I found no certified autographs in pen, but.....



I did find three cards that I did own, non-certified, that were signed in pen.  Whitey Herzog I got at an event in St. Louis and he was not putting down his pen.  Everyone got an autograph signed in pen.  In retrospect I should have brought a baseball to the event.  The Lenny Harris was from my brief period of TTM signatures.  The Donruss card is a pretty bad signature, but I have always really liked the Upper Deck.

The Rollins autograph is a really good signature in spite of the fact that Henry used a Bic pen.  Have not quite decided if he's going to stay in my collection or not, but I will enjoy the card while it's sitting here.

5 comments:

  1. Some of the non-players in Ginter are really annoying, but Rollins is one of the intriguing ones. I'd be lying if I said that I was a fan of, well, anything that Rollins does, but he's an interesting guy and that is definitely an interesting card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you decide to part with the Rollins, let me know. I'm a big fan of Black Flag and Rollins Band and even like his spoken word stuff, so it would be in good hands. If you decide to keep it, though, I wouldn't blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the celebrity auto checklist. They did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pull. I grew up with a bunch of buddies who loved Black Flag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's incredible. I have to get my hands on one of those.

    ReplyDelete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...