Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Random Ray - 1995 Stadium Club Members Only

I was into Stadium Club, but I was not in the Stadium Club.

Stadium Club had some exclusive club of card collectors who could buy fancier versions of Topps products in the mid 1990s. At some point during the year, for the low price of just $200, Stadium Club members could purchase said-fancy set, and not feel a sliver of doubt in their sound purchase. 

Feels like this "Stadium Club" should have had an infomercial.  


Every other great consumer product of the 1990s had one. 

Fortunately for me, there were other people who did spend $200 to join the "Stadium Club" in the 1990s and all of their Stadium Club Members Only cards are now in all the quarter boxes at card shops across the country.  

Here is my Ray Lankford......



I love the picture of Ray Lankford in his batting stance. Not sure about the four colored boxes, and I was trying to figure out what they colored over in the background. No idea?  It's like someone at Topps figured out how to put a picture of a baseball card in the Apple Photo Booth Warhol filter.  



Not sure I am a huge fan of this look on a baseball card.  

Back of the card.  


No stats, but this is a nice write up.  

Ray was certainly a talented player. Too bad a was stuck on a team with Tripp Cromer and Tom Urbani. 

Not my favorite card and I am still trying to figure out how Topps got people to join the Stadium Club.   

4 comments:

  1. I was a member the first year when we got this keychain and Nolan Ryan bronze card, but don't think I ever signed up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a pair of those Stadium Club key chains a few years back and have it attached to the bathroom passes in my classroom. My students always ask me about them. I just tell them that everyone in the building knows the Stadium Club bathroom pass is mine and it gets returned when students lose them.

      Delete
  2. I wonder how many of those members regret paying that $200 price tag these days? I would have to think just about all of them. As for the card, I like the background, it's quite fetching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many people who were out to get rich with sports cards back in the early 1990s, so I bet the regret level might actually be pretty low. At least they got a few cool trinkets out of it, better results than ripping early 1990s baseball cards in bulk thinking Todd Van Poppel and Kevin Maas cards would be worth a fortune.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....