Sunday, May 14, 2023

Pujols Post - 2002 Upper Deck Vintage

I am going with a checklist this week, because it is one of the few cards that has Albert Pujols and Mark McGwire pictured together as teammates during their active careers. Few may remember the two were teammates on the 2001 Cardinals team. Pujols was a rookie, McGwire was in his final season. Pujols was a joy to watch that summer, McGwire was not anything resembling his usual self.  

Here is the front of the 2002 Upper Deck Vintage card.  


Upper Deck Vintage ran for a few years in the early 2000s. Basically, they ripped off a random Topps design and threw a bunch of modern players on the front of the cards. In this case, the design was bottow from the 1971 Topps set. Love those black borders. Upper Deck Vintage were nice enough cards and I put together a few of these sets.  

The picture on the front of the card is decent. Kind of looks like Pujols is ignoring McGwire, but it's in game and not airbrushed. Upper Deck did not participate in that sort of nonsense. I wish the photo weren't so tightly cropped. It would be nice to see what is happening in the background and who the Cardinals were playing. Is this after a home run?  

If you don't remember what happened with Pujols and McGwire in 2001......

McGwire only played half a season with the Cardinals, missing most of the first half of the season. He hit 29 home runs in a limited number of at-bats, but also hit under .200 and struck out 118 versus just 56 hits. At the end of the season, he retired from baseball by sending a fax to ESPN. Meanwhile, Pujols hit almost .330, 37 home runs, drove in 130 runs, and won the National League Rookie of the Year. I heard a stuck around for a few years more and did alright for himself.  

Back of the card......


It's a checklist.  

Small set, so really hard to argue with the names on the checklist. My only gripe is the prospect card. The early 2000s were lean years for the Cardinals Minor League system, but I would have gone with Placido Polanco over either Ortega or Saturria.  

6 comments:

  1. Didn't even realize the McGwire and Pujols years overlapped. I remember Pujols having that insane rookie season (Ichiro too)... but most of the focus (especially in my area) was Bonds and the home run chase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonds had such a ridiculous year in 2001. Honestly, everyone should have been paying attention to him. I got to see him hit one home run that summer at Busch. It was off of Darryl Kile before All-Star Break and I think it might have been his 40th. Bonds was so incredible.

      Delete
  2. I guess I was paying more attention to Ichiro and the Mariners that year. I didn't realize that that was how McGwire had announced his retirement. Not a good look if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really bad look by McGwire even though he was clearly done at that point. Although, I think the majority of Cardinals fans were sadder when the team signed Tino Martinez to replace him and he was a complete dud.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. My email address is the snorting bull at gmail dot com. Drop my your address and I will send you a copy.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....