Saturday, May 27, 2023

Just Hope Willson Can Help The Team.....

I was waiting for Topps to put out a Willson Contreras card in a Cardinals uniform.

Sure, I was excited the Cardinals signed him to replace Yadier Molina, but Willson was not super high on my baseball card fandom list. Add a historically bad start to the season by the Cardinals and some ridiculous drama by the team's front office, and I am a huge Willson Contreras fan.  

To summarize.......

It's been an infuriating season for the 10-24 (!) Cardinals, but removing Willson Contreras from behind the plate signifies the biggest red flag to date.

More on the most bizarre turn of events yet in St. Louis: https://t.co/4rzBNN1NVo

— Katie Woo (@katiejwoo) May 7, 2023


The Cardinals pitchers were (are) terrible at the beginning of the season and it was all Willson's fault according to the team's management, so they stopped using him as a catcher one month into a five year contract he signed to be the primary catcher. 

In reality, Willson has been just fine and he's handled the situation really well. My Willson Contreras fandom has been elevated enough that I am willing to take on some Cubs cards.  

Let's start.  



I picked up a copy of the 2019 Topps Heritage Willson Contreras autograph. Nice looking card.  

I just hope Willson can help the Cardinals win some games.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice looking on-card auto! Hope Topps puts out some autos of his featuring him in Cardinals gear this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope. He's just about the only lovable player on this year's Cardinals team.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....