Friday, March 10, 2023

Friday Five: My Favorite 1988 Topps and Topps Traded Cards

I got a copy of the 1988 Topps set from my parents for Christmas that year. I was excited about getting a complete set, so I opened the set box and sorted out all of the cards. Everyone from the 1980s knows you are supposed to leave your complete Topps sets sealed, right? I was in fifth grade and baseball cards are fun, of course I opened the box. Also, it's the 1988 Topps set.  You can probably find a copy of the set at your local thrift shop for $5.  

There are probably multiple copies for less than $5 at your thrift shop.  

Is the 1988 Topps set unpopular because it's really that bad, or because it lacks a signature rookie card Truth be told, I kind of dig the 1988 Topps set. The design is underrated.  

Topps is using the 1988 design as an insert set with the 2023 Topps set. Many have not liked the 1988 Topps set for the past thirty years, but you're going to love it now and buy all the retail packs from Target and Wal-Mart.  



I personally like the Nolan Arenado card.  

Now, let me get to the countdown. I am going to include cards from the 1988 Topps Traded set in this post, because there are some good cards in there and it is also a $5 set.  

Shall we?  



5T. 1988 Topps Traded Andy Benes #14T 



5T. 1988 Topps Traded Ron Gant #39T 

I did not touch the 1988 Topps Traded set until the Cardinals signed Andy Benes and Ron Gant as a free agents before the 1996 season. There was a high-end card store that was a few minutes from my house back in the 1990s. When the Cardinals signed Benes and Gant, they set out a huge stack of 1988 Topps Traded sets on one of their counters with all the sets costing $10. I bought the set expecting it to have a Ron Gant rookie and a bunch of junky cards. 

Not the case.  

As a Cardinals fan, I got cards of Jose DeLeon, Luis Alicea, and Tom Brunansky on top of Gant and Andy Benes. There was also David Wells, Jim Abbott, and Roberto Alomar amongst others. It's a pretty good set and I have no idea how it is only crispy Alexander Hamilton.  




4. 1988 Topps Traded Robin Ventura #124T

Robin Ventura is not quite a Hall of Famer. One of the best third baseman from the 1990s and early 2000s, just a step below players like Scott Rolen. In the aftermath of the 1982 Topps Traded set, every Topps Traded set had a potential Cal Ripken waiting to rising from the checklist. This was the "it" card from the 1988 Topps Traded set. Not sure it was every really all that expensive at any point, but the fact that the card costs less than a dollar is insanity.  


This card should cost at least a dollar at a minimum.  

3. 1988 Topps Vince Coleman #1 

I loved the design of the Record Breakers cards in the 1988 Topps set. That red background really pops and it was great to see a Cardinals player on the first card of a Topps set.  The Record Breaker was for Coleman's third consecutive season with more than 100 stolen bases. I believe that Topps has reused this design in one of their Throwback/Customer Direct products.  

Here is the moment.......



The previous record was held by Rickey Henderson.  


2. 1988 Topps Mark McGwire #580 

Mark McGwire with a Topps All-Star Rookie logo in the corner. It was a no-brainer. No goatee or crazy muscles, just skinny Mark McGwire holding a bat and posing for a picture. This is one of my favorite early McGwire cards. Topps also used a picture from this same photo shoot on McGwire's 1988 Glossy Mail-In card and the A's Team Leaders card.  



I am sure if I looked hard enough, Topps has probably recycled these photos on modern McGwire cards as well. It would be borderline shocking if they have not.  



1. 1988 Cardinals Leaders #351 

Great picture here with long-time Cardinals player, manager, and coach Red Schoendienst standing next to catcher Tony Pena. Most coaches do not get cards, so it was nice to see someone as high-profile as Red get the nod from Topps. It is somewhat surprising that Pena appeared on this card over some of the more popular 1980s Cardinals players like Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee, or Vince Coleman. 

Still, not a complete reach.  

If you weren't around for 1980s baseball, Pena was the premier defensive catcher in the league and the Cardinals were loaded with Gold Glovers. The Cardinals had outfielders to spare, but no catcher. Prior to the 1987 season, the Cardinals traded Andy Van Slyke to the Pirates for Pena. The Cardinals ended up winning the National League that season, but injuries caught up with them in the World Series and they lost in seven games. 

A card back.  



Solid numbers on the Cardinals Team Leaders. I am sure Red helped somehow, someway. 

8 comments:

  1. I like the '88 set more than I do '87. This McGwire is probably my favorite card of his. Given how roided up he would eventually get, it's amazing to go back and see just how normal he looked in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cardinals Mark McGwire was so cartoonish, plus he had neck acne.

      Delete
  2. I have a theory that the only people (but there are lot of them) that say the 1988 set is "boring" are ones who were kids in the late '80s, because only a kid would think the '87 set was cool (and not realize it was a repeat of '62) and the '88 set was a disappointment. I instantly liked the '88 set when I saw it that year and thought it was improvement over '87. ... Best card of '88 set is Bo Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good theory, it would be interesting to poll collectors who were active in the late 1980s about their opinions on the 1987 and 1988 Topps sets. Bo Jackson is a really good card. That actually caught my eye as I was flipping through the set. Love those 1980s powder blue Royals uniforms.

      Delete
  3. Night Owl might have a point about kids in the 80's thinking the 87 set was cool, while the 88 design was boring. I was one of those kids. The 87 design is still one of my favorites from the decade (even though I indeed knew it was a 1962 knockoff), and the 1988 design is one of my least favorite. That being said... I have grown to appreciate the 1988 design more in recent years.

    As for favorite cards... the only ones I have pictured in my head are Gwynn, Nokes, and Lasorda. None of these beat out the Mcgwire you showed off... so I'll go with that card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the National League All-Star card of Tony Gwynn more than his base card. The Nokes card is a really good one. In fact, I really like the Topps Rookie Cup cards from the 1988 set. That little colored triangle in the corner of the card makes me happy.

      Delete
  4. As a Mets fan I have fond memories of Robin Ventura, but even I underrated him. 56 WAR--that's pretty close to Hall of Fame level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ventura is just outside the Hall of Fame in my opinion, but if he got in I would not complain. He's more deserving than Harold Baines.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....