Wednesday, August 31, 2022

2022 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 5

Another Blake Snell autograph card that I did not buy when it was first released.

Today's card is from the 2020 Topps Tribute set and features one of those jersey swatches with a sticker. These are always intriguing and I love looking up the authentication sticker to see what happened during the game.  When I see authentication stickers, I always expect to type in the number and end up getting a game where the player is sitting on the bench.  


Congratulations! 

Blake Snell sat on the bench for a few hours while he was wearing this jersey!  

Here is the card....




The overall design of the card is fine. It's a decent effort by Topps. Kind of what you expect out of a card from this type of product. It's not like I avoided this card due to design back in 2020. I am certain that it was more a matter of price. However, I found this copy for less than $10. 

Now to the swatch.  


I typed in the authentication number and ended up with a jersey from the 2019 season worn during a Yankees and Rays game.  Snell actually started the game, pitched into the sixth inning, and struck out 12 Yankees batters.  I found a wire news service photo of Snell from the game.  



The Rays only scored 1 run, Snell allowed 2, and ended up taking the loss in the game.  The Yankees ended up scoring 7 runs, with 5 of the runs coming in the last two innings against Ryne Stanek and Austin Pruitt.  

Not Snell's fault that the Rays lost the game. 

Back of the game.  



The standard card back.  

Overall, quality card and I was pleasantly surprised by the results of the authentication sticker.  

2 comments:

  1. This looks like the sort of card that would come from a very expensive box. If so, it's kind of amazing that you would be able to pick up something like this from that kind of set two years later for only ten bucks. One would think that cards from that kind of set would hold their value a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this comes from a really expensive box of cards, which is why I did not buy it at the time. Snell has also gone from a Cy Young Winner to a player who is really inconsistent playing on a West Coast team few people watch. I am finding some good deals on these cards at the moment, which makes me happy.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....