Friday, January 1, 2021

The Old Goals

A quick run down my collecting goals from 2020.  

Here were my goals from 2020:

1. No new sets from packs. 

2. More Durham Bulls and Cardinals single cards. 

3. More Posts About Sorting 

I will do a few new goals for 2021 this weekend.  

1. No New Set From Packs - Complete Success 

So, for starters I did not complete a single 2020 calendar year set.  None.  In fact, I barely even opened any packs of 2020 cards.  I bought a few packs of Topps Heritage from Target when it was first released, same with Series 1 and Series 2 of the Topps base set.  I was not chasing down packs of cards by driving around in between all the Targets and Wal-Mart stores within an hour of my house.  

The majority of the time and money I spent on 2020 calendar year cards went towards buying a few select Project 2020 cards from Topps.  I think there were probably my three favorite cards out of the product:






I bought some of those Super 1970s cards and posted what came in my pack last week.  




That's it.  I think all of my 2020 cards might fit into a 300 count box save for the Topps Project 2020 cards because of the packaging.  

2. More Durham Bulls and Cardinals single cards - Success 

I feel like this is where most of my time and money went in terms of cards coming into my collection.  I feel like the two biggest successes were working on finding the 1975 Topps Mini cards of the former Durham Bulls players in the set, along with finding a copy of the 1959 Topps Bob Gibson rookie card.  

The Gibson rookie was by far the highlight of my collecting during 2020.  



I picked up this card at the height of the Topps Project 2020 craze.  I was able to flip around a Bob Gibson card from that set for this card.  It's not perfect, but I was just blown away to even land this card.  




The 1975 Topps Mini set was something different.  I have plenty of modern Durham Bulls cards, but not nearly as many from the 1970s and earlier.  There were plenty of good Bulls players who appear in card sets from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.  Really fun to learn about these players and find their cards.  

3. More Posts About Sorting - Not So Great 

I started out the year posting about sorting cards.  




By the middle of the year, I was not posting about sorting cards.  

My card closet is not in an organized state at the moment.  

New goals for 2021 later this weekend.  

10 comments:

  1. Trading a modern version of an iconic vintage card, and turning it into that vintage card has got to be the coolest feeling ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good feeling. Who would have guessed that someone would value a reprint of a rookie card more than the rookie card itself? That Gibson Project 2020 card is still selling for $200, but I am just fine with the actual 1959 Topps card.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Not too terrible of a year...I think the retail flippers changes a lot of collecting habits this year. Looking forward to your 2021 goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The retail flippers did change a lot about the hobby. Not sure it was a positive change, and I curious if it will die down as the vaccine starts getting distributed and people start getting out of their houses more.

      Delete
  3. The fact that you flipped a Project 2020 card and used the proceeds to buy the actual rookie card has to be one of the best hobby stories of 2020. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked myself. I am flattered that you view it as a great story.

      Delete
  4. The Gibson Project 2020 for his RC was a huge move. So savvy. Way to take advantage of the market!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that people went so crazy for those cards. It's hard to believe the amount of money that some people spent on those cards this year.

      Delete
  5. I remember it now that you brought it up again, but still can't believe that you were able to get a Bob Gibson rookie in that manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to pinch myself every once in awhile too. That Gibson card is my favorite card to look at right for the past five-six months.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....