Monday, December 28, 2020

Slightly Let Down.

I was really excited earlier this year when Topps announced that they were putting out a set that was created with the owner of the Super 70s Sports Twitter account.  The Twitter account is sort of a cross between sports and pop culture with a heavy 1970s lean.  Sure, there is a little bit of 1960s and 1980s cross over in there from time to time, but the account generally does a good job of staying in its lane.  

For example........


Brilliant.  

I was hoping the set would be the Topps equivalent of the 2001 Upper Deck 1970s set.  If you collected cards at the time that set was released, you know that's a high bar to meet.  There were some really strong inserts, great names from the decade, and a solid autograph checklist.  I thought Topps was up for the challenge of matching cards like this one from the Upper Deck set.....


 

It took awhile for the box to show up, but last week it appeared in my mailbox.  I was excited to open the pack of cards.  It's one of the few current 2020 products that I have opened this year.  



The packaging inside the box was pretty nice.   


Now that I mentioned the Twitter account and the packaging, I am roughly 50% of the way through the highlights for this product.  The set has one major flaw.  Maybe I am being picky, but I am going to go ahead and borrow a meme from Mad Man and one of my current favorite sayings at work.  



Works great in 2020, usually more than once in a week.  



So, here is the problem.  Ohtani has nothing to do with the 1970s.  He wasn't even born in the 1970s.  Sandy Koufax did not pitch in the 1970s.  In fact, he retired in the middle of the 1960s.  It's not even like he pitched in the late 1960s.  I am not scanning on my cards from the box, they are on my Twitter if you really need to see them, but there were a lot of other non-1970s players.  

Not to keep harkening back the Upper Deck 1970s set either, but that product only had players from the 1970s, which is what made it a really great product.  I'd like to think there is still a market for that type of product 20 years later.  Has Topps looked around at who collects baseball cards nowadays?  There are a lot of people who would eat up a set filled with players from the 1970s.  

Here is the sad part.  


The 1970s cards that are in the set are really well done.  It's not like I am expecting a set of Hall of Famers.  J.R. Richard and Dave Kingman are definitely more in line with what I thought would be in pack of cards.  These are great cards.  The 1970s themed insert cards are even better.  I pulled three insert cards, one of which was an autograph, out of my box of 1970s Topps.




This card is a gem with Rich "Goose" Gossage wearing shorts for the White Sox.  



Lou Brock wearing sunglasses.  Yes, absolutely great 1970s card. 



This Gorman Thomas card is also awesome.  The mustache is magnificent, as is the long hair cover up his ears and the long side burns.  

I understand that I am being a little hard here.  There are truly some really great 1970s cards in this product.  If had to go back and keep my $20 and not order this box, I probably would have still picked up a few singles on Ebay or COMC at some point.  It's not a total disappointment, I just feel slightly let down.  

10 comments:

  1. I don't think topps is allowed by their licensing agreement to issue a set without active players. I agree that players like koufax don't belong in the set (how about burt hooton instead) but the current players have to be included. I might be wrong, but I think that is the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never keep track of all the rules that Topps has to follow to maintain their license with Major League Baseball. I know there is a lot of small print, and I am happy that I don't have to keep track of it all.

      Delete
  2. Not only did not pitch in the late '60s, he's a BROOKLYN Dodger on that card. The Brock more than makes up for it though - fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even look at the hat. Good catch. The Brock is pretty fantastic. I am looking into a few other cards from that sunglasses set.

      Delete
  3. You took the words right off of my keyboard. And congratulations... that Thomas autograph is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thomas autograph is pretty incredible. I know that this is not a per-pack-autograph product, so I feel fortunate pulling it.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, those inserts are cool, but the rest, uh... not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the whole set looked like the inserts, I would be putting together the whole set.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....