Saturday, December 3, 2016

There's No Crying In Baseball

I am a big fan of players showing emotion while they are playing the game.  Some of the "unwritten" rules of baseball stuff, put your head down and run, drive me crazy at times.  Don't get me wrong, if Scott Rolen types want to run around the bases as quickly as possible I am not going to complain for a second.  However, at the same time, if a guy like Bryce Harper hits a 500 foot home run I don't see a problem with him checking it out on his way to first.

Emotion is a two way street.

Baseball always seems to be the last sport to adapt to everything, not only are celebratory displays of emotion much more acceptable in other sports, but so are some of the emotions for losing a hard fought game.

Basketball has crying.
















Football has crying.

















Hockey.  Crying.



















Even Pep Band members at sporting events cry....
















but baseball has generally been devoid of crying.  If you scour the internet long enough you can find a few examples of players crying on the field, but most of them are pictures of players dealing with something tragic from off the field.  Pictures of Craig Biggio and Larry Walker can be found crying after the death of Darryl Kile, Marlins players after the death of Jose Fernandez, and Yankees players after the death of Cory Lidle.
























Baseball players really don't cry on the field outside of that Flores kid on the Mets.  At the time this incident happened, I really did not think much of it.  Guy crying because he is going to get traded?  Sounds a little sad, but I am not sure that it's worth this sort of display....



I recently ran into a pair of Wilmer Flores cards.  They were pretty nice cards, and while they are not something I would go out of my way to find, both cards fit into sets that I have enjoyed collecting.  First up...

























I did a little bit of work collecting these a few years back.  There were always some nice players in these Bowman's Best insert sets.  I especially enjoyed the die-cut versions of a few of the Cardinals and Rays prospects.  I do not have the complete set, but Wilmer is one of the cards that I was missing out of this set.

























Last one is a Gypsy Queen autograph from the 2014 set.  I have always liked the GQ sets and really enjoy the on-card signatures in the product.  Wilmer does not have the best signature or anything, but adding cards like these to the old collection isn't going to cause any hurt feelings or tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....