Friday, December 30, 2016

Project Durham Bulls #5




Nathan Karns - 2014 Durham Bulls 


Background- 
Karns originally actually went to college at NC State, but transferred to Texas Tech after his freshman year to be closer to his mother who was sick at the time.  He started out his professional career with he Nationals and was traded to the Rays for Jose Lobaton and Felipe Rivero.  His first season in the Rays organization landed the hard throwing starter in Triple A with the Bulls.  In 27 starts Karns had an ERA of 5.08, but averaged more than a strikeout per inning (153 in 145.1).  The Rays called him up at the end of the 2014 season where he made two starts.  He stayed with the Rays in 2015 before he was in the Brad Miller trade sending him to the Mariners for the 2016 season.  This past season in Seattle Karns had an ERA north of 5, but again averaged more than a strikeout per inning.  

Card-
I actually have a another Karns autograph from one of those cool Donruss college sets from aways back.  It's a pretty sweet card from his time at Texas Tech.  I didn't really need another Karns autograph I guess, but this card was nearly free on Ebay.  I was actually trying to pick up a few cards for my Bowman Autographs set project, the seller also had this card up for auction.  I know that the autographs in the base Topps products have high print runs and the whatnot, but I guess it's nice to get a Karns autograph in a Major League uni.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....