Thursday, December 22, 2016

Jeteresque Aledmys

Topps is never afraid to go back into their past and borrow an old design.  In my quest to find a few more Aledmys Diaz cards for my collection I ran into a Topps card whose design was borrowed from a popular card from my teenage years.  Kind of make me feel like an old man.

There were a lot of cool 1990s shortstops, especially the latter half of the decade, but one of the most popular and affordable cards belongs to former Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter.



There are flashier Jeter rookie cards, but this one is still really nice.  No foil or premium brand name attached to the card, just a nice card featuring the future Hall of Famer.  If you were going to make a set, using an old Topps design, and feature a set of young and upcoming shortstops this card design would be a pretty good choice.  

There are actually six cards in the set, but I decided to just pick up the Aledmys Diaz card.  The other five cards are Carlos Correa, Trevor Story, Francisco Lindor, Corey Seager, and Xander Bogaerts.  Nice group of players.  

Here is the Aledmys.  



The mark on the side of the card is from my scanner.  Not sure what's going on there, but it's not on the card.  Kind of bothering me, but I scanned the card, put it away, walked back in the room and saw it there.  A little lazy I know.  

The general design is the same as the Jeter with a few differences.  Of course there is the ridiculous RC badge in the bottom left hand corner.  Not really a big fan of the rookie card logos since they have started.  There is also the header on the card.  Since you can't slap a draft pick label on the players in the set I am cool with the new title.  Overall a really cool card.  

I picked up one other Diaz card while I was tracking down this one, really inexpensive, but I like it a lot.  


Bunt, the actually physical card set and not the app, was a really inexpensive box of cards.  I have seen the boxes floating around for next to nothing, but I skipped this product.  The cards look okay, but you can't buy a box of everything.  I'd rather take the $25 I could use to buy a box of Bunt and get a nice single card instead.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....