Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Around the Card Room, Take 14

I have been on one of my breaks from school over the past two weeks, which has signaled a bit of a slow down on blog writing. I have tried to explain year-round school schedules on here before and failed miserably, so I am not going to try again outside of saying that I am not going to work at the moment. I am getting some time to rest and relax around my house, but I am also trying to get out and do stuff around town.  

Driving my kids to school and chaperoning their field trips.  


Going to basketball games.  


Hiking.......


and like that, I have dropped all three local ACC universities in a post.

Bonus points and maybe a care package to the first person who can name all three locations and corresponding university in the comments. Two are easy, one is difficult.  

Today, I actually had to stop by work. I try to avoid doing that during these little breaks, but some times it's necessary. In this case, I ended up with a great item for my card room.

This is getting framed.        


My co-teacher works part-time for the Bulls and picked this item up for me. 

I owe him, something.   

This is the Charlotte Knights lineup card from the August 30, 2015 game against the Durham Bulls. The Knights are the Triple A team for the Chicago White Sox. While several of their players on the lineup card reached the Majors, I am a huge fan of several of the players who appeared on the Bulls side of the lineup card.  

A closer look at the Bulls lineup......


Mikie Mahtook, Ryan Brett, Richie Shaffer, Joey Rickard, and Luke Maile have all appeared on at least one post on this blog over the past decade. Taylor Motter, Hak Ju Lee, and Blake Snell have all appeared on multiple posts and are players I collect.  

Snell is obviously the most important player on this lineup card and also the winning pitcher in this game, as the Bulls beat the Knights 4-2.  This was Snell's fifth Triple A victory of 2015 and his 14th overall between Triple and Double A.  


Snell would end up winning both the Baseball America and USA Today Minor League Player of the Year Award for 2015. It was the last full year Snell played in the Minors.  

After I get this framed and hung up in the card room, I will post an update as a part of a future card room post. While I will eventually run out of interesting items and stories about the things in my card room, but I think I can squeeze another year out of these posts. 

3 comments:

  1. Oooh official lineup card! Very cool! The pictures are neat, I think I got 2 of 3:

    The basketball game is NC State's arena - PNC in Raleigh, by the looks of the red seats and signage.
    The sun dial is on UNC's campus. I'm going to guess that the trail is Duke? (I figured Wake Forest would be too on-the-nose)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drop me a favorite player and team and your mailing address and I will send you some cards. My email is thesnortingbull at gmail dot com.

      Delete
  2. Glad Chris got the correct answer, because it saves me from doing a bunch of research... which probably would have resulted in me getting a wrong answer or two. Cool lineup card! I wish my co-workers would hook me up with stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....