Saturday, December 9, 2023

2023 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 15

Sunday afternoon was relaxing. My son and I attended our first NC State basketball game of the year. The women's team defeated two-time Missouri Valley Champions Illinois State by roughly 20 points. 



 
We spent a little time walking around campus after the game. Went by the College of Education, which has the worst building on campus. The building is currently closed due to high levels of metals and toxins found in the building.  


I blame the smokestack in the neighboring parking lot.  


Sunday evening also marked the end of an Ebay auction on my latest Blake Snell autograph.  I am really excited this card. I honestly did not expect to land this autograph when it came up for auction on Ebay during the past week. There have been several copies that have been listed as "Buy It Now" for prices north of $50. I was not willing to spend north of $50 for this card and I figured that number would be the ceiling used as people were bidding for the auction this past Sunday. 

I was wrong.   

The card landed well short of $50, not even half that amount for a 2023 Topps Update 1988 Topps Silver Pack Autograph of the former Padres and Rays pitcher. 

Here is the front of the card......


  

I love the Silver Pack cards, so shiny. I also love the 1988 Topps design. The photo leaves a little to be desired. However, I am really interested in the placement of the sticker autograph on this card. Typically, the sticker autographs run parallel to the top and bottom of the card. Someone at Topps decided to place this sticker autograph at an angle where it is parallel to the name plate.  

I really like the change here and it looks like Topps made this change on all the Silver Pack autographs in Topps Update.  The regular 1988 Topps autograph inserts have the typical sticker alignment.  

Back of the card.  


We've got the 1988 Topps back with the serial number in the top right-hand corner of the card. 

Where do you think Blake Snell will play next year?  

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking card. I actually like the photo. Usually I'm all about the shiny stuff... but this is one of those situations where I'd rather have it be a non-Chrome card.

    As for your question... I'm hoping anywhere other than with the Yankees or Dodgers :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His regular Topps 1988 autograph is really nice. I agree with your sentiments about where he plays next year. I have got a feeling he is going to end up on the Giants.

      PS- I had a question about your address, can you check your email?

      Delete
  2. I like the looks of that building that the smokestack is attached to. And that sticker placement certainly is different. I'm impressed with how well the card seems to have scanned too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sometimes I scan cards well, sometimes I don't scan cards well, sometimes the power goes out. Think about that"

      -Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

      It's a weird half-new, half-old building.

      https://sustainability.ncsu.edu/campus/energy-water/

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....