Tuesday, October 24, 2023

The Best Writers In Baseball

I really like baseball.

I used to follow some other sports, but I have given them up for the most part. I check some NBA and NFL box scores to check up on some former college favorites, but the majority of my time is spent on baseball. I read the boxscores most mornings, listen to podcasts with the little man in the morning on the way to school, and also check out my fair share of articles. 

Two of my favorite writers are Derrick Goold and Sarah Langs.  

Goold is one of the Cardinals writers for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and also hosts a podcast called, "The Best Podcast In Baseball". Langs is an MLB writer and researcher for ESPN and MLB Network who appears on various television networks, podcasts, and websites. She has coined the slogan, "Baseball is the best", which she often stats during her television and podcast segments.  

Both have autographs in Allen & Ginter.

Let's start with Langs.   


Langs signed cards for this year's Allen & Ginter set. Her autograph is simple, but she has also been diagnosed with ALS within the past year, so I thought it was incredible that she still signed cards. If you enjoy baseball and have not read any of her work, or do not follow her on social media, I highly recommend checking out her work. She is really talented.  

On to Goold.  


Goold signed for Allen & Ginter back in 2020. I looked for this autograph for a time, but was not willing to pay the price it was selling for at the time. The Langs autograph renewed my interest in tracking down a copy of this card for a reasonable price.  I really enjoy his coverage of the Cardinals and am glad to own this card.  

4 comments:

  1. I thought the intrusive A & G logo on a mini card was the reason Langs shortened her signature. Didn't know she has ALS. Hope she's okay.

    Goold has a nice, legible signature - and it just about fills up the length of the card. Good thing his name isn't longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Langs still shows up on podcasts and television shows, so I would guess she's managing her ALS fairly well at the moment. Really weird that a women in her 30s gets that disease, very usual. I agree on Goold signature, very nice. The man does so many things well, including autographing cards.

      Delete
  2. I used to be familiar with a few sports writers way back when, but it seems like there's just too many in the internet era for me to keep up with. I've not heard of either of these two, but I do think that it's kind of neat that you're able find pack pulled autos of writers that you're a fan of.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....