Friday, October 13, 2023

"There is a shortage of Roger Maris cards in a Cardinals uniform, it would be a shame to pass up this card"

I have written about the 2002 Topps Super Teams set a few times in this space. It's one of my favorite modern baseball card sets that focuses on players and teams from yesteryear. In this case, 10 different teams from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. The 1967 Cardinals who won the World Series against the Boston Red Sox make an appearance in the set. 

I own most of the Cardinals cards in the set. At least the base cards, shiny parallel cards, and the autographs. My favorite is my Bob Gibson autograph with a piece of a seat from old Busch Stadium. 


Very nice.  

While I have all the autographs and base cards and shiny parallel cards, I was still missing one of the relic cards. If you are a long-time reader, you know I have an aversion to the majority of relic cards out there. They rarely appear here and I have made my peace with the fact that the authenticity of the relics is often dubious.  

Well, I am going to set that aside, because I found that final missing relic card, which belonged to the right-fielder on the 1967 Cardinals, Roger Maris. You might remember Roger from the New York Yankees.  



Roger spent the final two years of his career with the Cardinals. He was more of a complimentary piece at that point in his career, as the Cardinals had Orland Cepeda, Lou Brock, Curt Flood, and Tim McCarver.  Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton too. Maris was a good defensive outfielder and a nice left-handed bat to stick behind Cepeda.  

There are not many modern cards of Maris shown as a Cardinal. I understand that his best year's were with the Yankees, but that fan base was also pretty terrible in their treatment of him both before and after his career. Thrilled to add a nice Maris card to the collection in a Cardinals uniform. 

Seat relics are cool, right?  

Here is the back of the card.  



It's the less grand version of the "CONGRATULATIONS" message that frequents so many of today's autographs and relics. I forgot about the old Topps authentication stickers, which is to the right of Roger's head. I wonder if that website is still live?  

Anyway, great card, happy to add it to the collection.  

4 comments:

  1. The card would be perfect if it was in color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is likely a shortage of photographs of Roger Maris in a Cardinals uniform too.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if all seat relics are cool, but this one certainly is. It's nice too that yours has a less than perfect piece of wood in it, as it gives the card a lot more character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't think it's wood. Did Topps break a bunch of plastic seats up from a cookie cutter stadium? It appears the answer is yes.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....