Saturday, October 22, 2022

It's Been A Minute

One of my favorite phrases in life.  

So much has happened over the past month and a half. Unfortunately, most of it involves me working, which nobody really wants to hear about. I am just going to skip ahead to the part where I talk about baseball cards and pretend that I still do this on a regular basis.  

I still have the time to purchase baseball cards, just not write about the baseball cards. I have narrowed this post down to 4 cards. There are some large stacks of cards sitting around my house at the moment and it's not because my wife repainted and refurnished my baseball card room in a day while I was at work.  


The stacks of cards are out of the frame, but I am actually going to make a post about the state and condition of my card room at the moment assuming I don't disappear for another six weeks.  

As I was saying, picking out just 4 cards was a bit of an accomplishment.  

The first three are all from the 2021 Topps Chrome Anniversary set.  Two former Durham Bulls players and a backup catcher for the Cardinals.  



First, former Durham Bulls player Greg Luzinski.  Great power hitter and a great signature too.  


Next up is Cardinals backup catcher Gene Tenace. Earlier in his career he was not a backup for the Oakland A's. Tenace was the 1972 World Series MVP. I do not have a Padres autograph of Tenace, but he was also a starting catcher in San Diego.  In 1980, Gene Tenace hit .222, but walked 30 more times than he struck out and had an on-base percentage of .399. 

Amazing. 

Last up on the Topps Chrome cards is former Durham Bulls player and current Minnesota Twins manager, Rocco Baldelli.  The green Rays jerseys were horrible.  

Last card is a Paul Goldschmidt autograph.  


He's been on the Cardinals a few years now, but I rarely buy any of his cards and I never post them when I do. Nothing too special, just usually cool looking parallels or base cards from when he played with the Diamondbacks. Nothing this nice.  

6 comments:

  1. 1. I'd be interested in hearing about your hiatus.
    2. That is one fancy looking card room!
    3. It's kind of weird that you published this on the same day that my Gene Tenace Chrome auto arrived in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3. Great minds think alike.

      2. It doubles as a family room for the kids. My youngest is in kindergarten, we are trusting we are past the drawing on the walls and writing on furniture mode. Fingers crossed, because she is her own creative person and you never know what she is going to do.

      1. I need to do a write up about my classroom this year. There are a lot of baseball cards involved, more so than in the past.

      Delete
  2. A. Can I just copy and paste your 2nd and everything up to your wife repainting and organizing your card room? Because I can totally relate.

    B. You're a lucky man! I'd pay my significant other to clean my card room while I'm at work. Unfortunately she's a teacher too, so it'd require her to take a day off. Oh and then there's the fact that she'd never do that for me :D.

    C. Your card room looks awesome. Way less cluttered than mine.

    D. Glad Topps had Tenace sign cards for them this year. I grabbed an A's auto a while back. Looks like I need to add a Padres one to my collection now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D. I am glad I grabbed one too. I am hoping that Topps will make a Cardinals autograph of Tenace, but seeing he was a backup, it's doubtful.

      C. I took a picture of one half of the room on purpose. If you could see the other half, you would probably feel much better about the state of your card room. Pictures are coming in a future post.

      B. My wife is also a teacher, but we are on different calendar schedules this year to help support our autistic son transitioning to middle school. Within in a 9 week, quarter-long window, one of us is home and available for 6 of the weeks. It's been invaluable this year, especially because his physician also transitioned him off of children's meds and onto adult medicine. He also ended up with a double hernia. She was "tracked out" when she repainted the room, so no school work that day.

      A. You are welcome to copy whatever you need.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, it's pretty sweet. Found it on COMC. Surprisingly, it was one of his cheapest autographs on there.

      Delete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...