Monday, October 24, 2022

Random Ray - 1995 Score

Score was always a pretty solid baseball card set. You were going to get a decent design with a reasonably priced product. Of all the sets that went away when Pinnacle went bankrupt, Score is one of the sets that I miss the most. 

The older Score sets have generally aged well and I really enjoy flipping back through and looking at the cards. For my Random Ray post this week, I picked out his card from the 1995 Score set after looking through it for a few minutes last week.  

Here is the card.  


This is the only Score set from the 1990s that I did not complete at the time of its release. My set still has a few missing cards. Not sure the high school version of me liked the tan and green color scheme on these cards.  The design is a little weird with the green and brown design around the border and blueish name plate. 

Whatever you think of the design, the picture is great. Love the action shot of Ray Lankford running the bases. Road uniforms are always a bonus.  This is in old Candlestick Park with the huge retired numbers on the wall in the outfield. The number 27 belongs to.......


Back of the card.  


On-base percentage in 1995?  

Besides being ahead on Moneyball stats, the card back has a nice write up, and the portrait picture on the side is quality. As much as you may not like the tan color on the front of the card, it provides a nice contrast with the black ink on the stats area on the back of the card.  

Overall, this is an underrated 1990s card. Not the typical Score card from the 1990s, but this set has done well with time. Might have to go finish off my set on Sport Lots.  

4 comments:

  1. Great action shot of Lankford. Thanks for pointing out Candlestick. Completely missed that, but you brought back memories. When I was a kid, I went to a ton of games there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss seeing games in the stadiums from my childhood. Never seen a game in-person at Candlestick, but I can identify it in a second when I see it on baseball cards. In a world of cookie-cutter, concrete bowls, Candlestick was a unique concrete bowl.

      Delete
  2. I didn't see this set until I started reading the blogs. I don't know if I like the design or not, but I don't hate it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest takeaway from this set is that it does not fit the mold of the typical Score baseball card set. It just an unexpected set.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....