Sunday, October 23, 2022

Troppo Prices Or Not?

Troppo is a term sometimes used by Australians to refer to someone who is behaving in a crazy manner.  

See video clip of Australian politician below for further context. 



I am using the slang term "Troppo" with this post, because I am talking about Rays third base prospect Curtis Mead, who is Australian. Mead spent a chunk of his 2022 season playing locally with the Durham Bulls. Obviously the reason I am interested in his baseball cards.  

Curtis Mead is a nice player who appears in many of the rankings produced by publication who keep track of such things. People who collect baseball cards have read these rankings and are currently paying some large amounts of money for Curtis Mead autographs.

I have seen Curtis Mead play a few times in person, but have no interest in paying $125 for his Bowman Chrome autograph. Zero.  



Curtis is good and all, but I could just go buy a Stan Musial autograph if I was going to sink $125 into baseball cards this afternoon. That price has gone done over the summer too. Considering this was the only Curtis Mead autograph floating around the majority of the summer, I was a little sad.

No Curtis Mead autograph for me.  

Recently, I was reading on Cardboard Connections (I infrequently write for them too), that Curtis Mead was included in the 2022 Pro Debut autograph checklist.  



I was counting on being able to afford a Curtis Mead autograph out of Pro Debut, but the prices have been something unexpected. In a good way though. This card cost me less than $10.  


Yes, it's a sticker autograph.

No, I do not care in this case.  

It's a Durham Bulls autograph.  



Back of the card and we can see that Curtis Mead actually started his professional career with the National League Champion (They are playing right now) Philadelphia Phillies.  Mead was traded to the Rays for Christopher Sanchez.  

4 comments:

  1. Seems crazy that people spend so much money on prospect autos. On the other hand... that was an auction and it takes two to tango. Then again... maybe someone was just bidding up the auction. Whatever... I'd much rather have a Musial autograph too... for that price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not always fun, but waiting still seems to pay off for the most part when it comes to overpriced (modern) cards. And given how often we see it, I wouldn't be surprised if that $125 card drops considerably over the next few years or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. What type of on-field performance is it going to take to maintain these prices? I am waiting for this to happen with Wander Franco. Collectors are crazy about his cards, but he's a walks and doubles machine. He's never going to hit 30 home runs and 100 walks and 50 doubles won't support his current prices.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....