Saturday, October 9, 2021

A Pause For College Football

It's hard to believe that we are already a month into the college football season.  I have still not made it to a game, but I plan on fixing that over the next few weeks.  The season has been pretty good for my Wolfpack.  One loss on the road to Mississippi State, but we also upset Clemson a few weeks back 



I am a big fan of Clemson losing.  

The game reminded me that I picked up a pair of NC State football cards towards the beginning of the football season that I never got around to posting.  I figured I would do it one of these weeks.  There is no NC State game this week, so here we are with a post.  

Both cards are of the same player, who happens to be one of my NC State favorites from the past five years.  

If you follow the NFL, you are probably aware of the fact that there are a really high percentage of former NC State quarterbacks in the league.  A few years back, they became only the second school to have four different former quarterbacks all start for NFL teams on the same weekend.  


Phillips Rivers has since retired, but the Bengals drafted Ryan Finley.  

There is also Jakobi Meyers.  He's a wide receiver on the Patriots, but he was originally a quarterback at NC State.  Meyers switched to being a receiver because he was blocked by Jakobi Brissett and Ryan Finley.  He is a good receiver.  Although, his passing skills have not suffered too much in the years spent catching the ball.  

 


Meyers had a few football cards produced with him in an NC State uniform, but I just never got around to buying them.  I have checked a few times in the past, but they ran a little high in price for my tastes.  It's really hard for me to justify spending much money on football cards.  If it's over $10, I usually pass.

Notice there are not any Russell Wilson cards on this blog.  

Here are the two Jakobi Meyers autographs.




I like the picture on these two cards with the all red home jersey.  This is by far my favorite uniform combination for the Wolfpack.  Please notice the signature on the top card.  It's not the world's best autograph by any means, but it is definitely a Jakobi Meyers autograph based on all the other autographs that are on Ebay and COMC.  

So, here is the second autograph card from Jakobi....


 

This is clearly not Jakobi's signature.  

Whose signature is it?  

No idea.  

Any football card collectors have a guess?  

2 comments:

  1. I collect football cards... but have no idea on the signature. And I'm a Seahawks fan... and only have one Wilson autograph. I'd love to add more, but they're out of my price range these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a Panini NC State baseball autograph of him with Trea Turner a few years back. Considering that he was not a very good baseball player, I felt a little bad about spending that much money on one of his autographs at the time. Wilson and Turner were not even at State at the same time. I have gotten over it though and enjoy the card.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....