Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Old Style

As sure as the sun rises this morning, we can always count on Topps rehashing a bunch of previously used styles of cards from its past, or sometimes borrowed from other companies.  They love their old styles and designs a little too much at times.  I spent part of last week looking for a few non-autographed Snell's, and came up with a few cards with designs that were borrowed from long ago.

Three cards in all, here is the first.  



This is from the Living Set, or the set that just won't end.  Topps has been making these cards for a few years now.  Roughly two cards per week, so I am not sure how many different cards are now in the set.  The never-ending set borrows its design from 1953 Topps.  I have a bunch of the Cardinals and former Durham Bulls, including a Bob Gibson card that I posed in the last two weeks. 

The hat logo on the side of the cap puts a date on the card, even if the set transcends years.  It's the Rays 20th Anniversary, which was in 2018.  



It's a good thing that Topps noted Snell pitched 6 2/3 innings in the game mentioned on the highlight, otherwise I would have assumed that those 11 strikeouts would have gotten him pulled in the fifth inning.  I will let it go one of those days/years.  

Next up are two different Snell cards from the latest Topps re-hash of the T206 tobacco cards.  They brought these back again this summer.  I liked these last decade, or whenever they last appeared.  I have two different variations of this Snell card.  The first is the base variation, which does not have a tobacco advertisement on the back.  




The other card is the Polar Bear back.  




The Polar Bear backs have a print run of 83 copies, although they are not serial numbered for some reason.  There are a few other different back variations that I might try to add over the next few months.  These are not only great cards because they feature Snell, but the tobacco ads on the back are all products from the American Tobacco Company, which was in Durham.   

In fact, there old factory is across the street from the Durham Bulls Athletic Park.  



The giant Lucky Strikes Water tower and smoke stack are still at the factory, but all the space is now taken up by various businesses.

The Bulls actually produced a series of videos a few years back showing how the different players prepared before the game.  Blake Snell actually walked to the ballpark before his starts.  Starting at the water fountain, until he reaches the ballpark, are all apart of the American Tobacco Factory.  


The Arrival-Blake Snell from Walmer Medina on Vimeo.


More Blake Snell cards later in the week.  

6 comments:

  1. The text on the back REALLY dates the card. It mentions that Snell and deGrom (in the trivia question) were finalists for the Cy Young Award. Both won. So this back was created between November 5 when the finalists were announced, and November 14 when the winners were announced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It was released the week of November 14th, so the design was probably completed the week before.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the chuckle (after reading the 5th inning jab). And as much as I like to give Topps a hard time, I do like the look of 206. Really trying hard to get my hands on the Gwynns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The T206 are way better than what I thought they'd be. Definitely going to finish tracking down some of the Snell's, also a few Cardinals.

      Delete
  3. Loving all of the Snell/Rays cards. Would you be up for trading? I mainly collect the Rays, and have some team sets of the Montgomery Biscuits and I’m positive a number of those guys played in Durham. My email is on my profile. -Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always up for trading. I will send you an email in the next couple of days.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....