Monday, November 9, 2020

More Of Your Favorite 1970s Durham Bulls

I got another stack of 1975 Topps Minis that I am going to split into two different posts.  

I am going with four cards for this post, a few more at some point during the next week.  There are a total of 23 former Durham Bulls players with cards in the 1975 Topps Mini set.  Out of the 23, I had 7 of the cards when I last gave an update in October.  These four will jump me up to 11, roughly half way.  With another stack on my desk, I am going to hopefully wrap up this project before the end of the year.  

Let's get into the cards.  

First up, I am going with the player I consider the greatest Durham Bulls player ever.  I guess you could make an argument for Chipper Jones, but I would still take this guy.  I cannot find a stand alone clip, but Morgan actually mentioned his time as a Durham Bulls during his Hall of Fame speech.  

Specifically, he talked about the influence Bill Goodman, the manager of the Bulls at the time Morgan played there, had on his career.  Goodman was also the Red Sox starting third baseman for much of the 1950s, and won the 1950 American League batting title.  


Not the best condition, but I will look for an upgrade later.  The edges of the card have some paper loss and chipping, and the corners are all soft.  I got the card for next to nothing, so I really cannot complain.

Next up we have Mike Jorgensen.  He actually played with the Raleigh-Durham Mets, but same thing as the Bulls.  He ended up making it all the way from the Carolina League, with the Bulls, to the Majors with the Mets in a single summer.  That's pretty impressive.


The Mets traded Jorgensen to the Expos for Rusty Staub.  Jorgensen ended up back on the Mets later on in his career.   He actually ended his career with the Cardinals when I was a kid.  Jorgensen was a left-handed bat off the bench and a back-up first baseman to Jack Clark.  He also ended up briefly managing the Cardinals during the 1995 season.  

Last two.  


Matlack was another Raleigh-Durham Mets player.  I have spent a lot of time on him in past posts, so you can search around and find Matlack cards.  Definitely an underrated player of the 1970s.  


Frisella was on the 1967 Durham Bulls, and had a great season while pitching in the Carolina League with the team.  He was a solid Major League player too, almost exclusively used as a reliever.  Sadly, he died in a dune buggy accident during the offseason in 1977.  

Let's check the updated checklist, remember the red highlighted cards are the ones I have already found.  


#44 - Pat Dobson

#89 - Jim Ray 

#90 - Rusty Staub 

#98 - Rich Folkers 

#125 - Ken Singleton 

#143 - Cliff Johnson 

#155 - Jim Bibby 

#165 - Doug Rader 

#180 - Joe Morgan 

#245 - Mickey Lolich 

#282 - Jerry Morales 

#286 - Mike Jorgensen 

#290 - Jon Matlack 

#342 - Leroy Stanton 

#343 - Danny Frisella 

#351 - Bob Boone 

#371 - Gates Brown 

#441 - Bob Heise 

#476 - Ed Figueroa 

#615 - Pat Darcy 

#621 - Rawley Eastwick 

#630 - Greg Luzinski 

#637 - Ted Martinez 


A few more later in the week.  Hopefully.  

2 comments:

  1. The Morgan is a great looking "posed" shot. Jorgensen too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. There are a lot of good "posed" cards in this set. There is a fine line in between a few of them and cards that are action shots. The Rusty Staub comes to mind. It appears posed, but I actually think they took the photo while he was taking batting practice. There is netting in the background. Then again, maybe they just had him stand there.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....