Thursday, November 12, 2020

2020 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

I am a little disappointed in the direction that Topps has taken the Triple Threads product over the past few years, but they are still some solid autographs on the checklist, right?  At least there is Blake Snell.  The design on the front of the Triple Threads cards was always enjoyed the cards with the attribute or a phrase describing the player featured on the front of the card.  

For example, this was one of the Snell autographs from the 2018 Triple Threads set.  



I miss this design.  

Low innings pitched?  Like pulled in the 6th inning of a 2 hitter in an elimination game during the World Series? 

It's actually a reference to the fact that Rays limited his innings early in his career.  Not that uncommon.  I saw a few games where they used Dylan Floro, Dodgers World Series winner and non-innings restricted pitcher, piggy back behind Snell on starts in the Minors.  21 wins also seems pretty good.  

Somewhere around here, Topps dropped the number of cards in Triple Threads that had messages on the front of the card.  I am not saying the don't exist, but they used to be the norm rather than the exception.  

Here is my newest Snell autograph.  



Again, I like the card, but it feels a lot like the Museum Collection and Tribute cards.  Topps has sort of merged all these different products together in style and design over the last few years.  The is a huge departure in design from the card up top.  Generic blue jersey swatch, sticker autograph, and a blasé gray background. 

I swear, I like the card, even if the post is coming across as hypercritical.   

Back of the card.  



CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

JUMBO RELIC CARD!!!!!!!!!!

I guess there is only so much you can do with a card back.  

3 comments:

  1. Nice call on how they've sorta merged Museum Collection, Triple Threads, and Tribute in regards to designs. Personally... I wish they'd take a break on releasing all three of these products each year. Put them on a cycle and that way collectors have time to start missing and craving these brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with this comment.

      Delete
    2. A rotation would be a good idea, or do they could do more to give each of those products a more defined personality. Honestly, I think there has never been much daylight between Museum and Tribute, it's just sad that Triple Threads has been merged into that jumble. It could very easily be it's own unique brand again, but that would take effort. I am not sure that's there at the moment.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....