Monday, January 4, 2016

A Venerable Old Card Part 5

I found a really cool card about two weeks and decided that it would be a cool addition to my collection for a few years:

1. It features a pretty good former Major Leaguer

2. This player was involved in one of the most notable plays of one of my favorite Cardinals Ray Lankford



3.  Who knew that there was ever a Triple A team in Maine?  


The team actually started out in Charleston and played under the Charlies nickname, but moved to Maine for the 1984 season.  Following the 1988 season the team moved to Scranton and became the Red Barrons.  So, obviously I am also going to need a Charleston Charlies card at some point, but until then this is the first Maine Guides card to enter my collection:


Obviously they were a minor league team for the Phillies.  Darren Daulton was one of the more notable players to appear for the Maine Guides which is why I went with this card.  There was also an Otis Nixon, tempted.  

The card is really off center, but it seems to be a really common trait with all Maine Guides cards out of the 1987 team set.  I am sure it's not a design feature, so I am going with the card was probably cheaply made.  Not the best cardstock either.  Still a neat addition to the Minor League card box.  

2 comments:

  1. In Charleston, they were an Indians farm team, with the most notable player being Von Hayes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also had some incredible uniforms. I have been looking at a couple of Charlies cards, think about a few players based on name, a few others based on having a really cool card.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....