Sunday, November 1, 2015

#MyCardMonday

As I am typing this on Sunday, the Royals have not quite wrapped up the World Series, but they are a game away from their second World Championship.  The Cardinals fan in me is a little indifferent towards the Royals taking home a World Series crown, but my Durham Bulls side is happy with the outcome since the team has two former members on the roster.  I could go with Ben Zobrist for this week's #MyCardMonday, but I feel like the super-utility player has received plenty of love over the years from fans all over baseball due to his unique ability to play all over the field at a high level.

I am actually a little bit happier, not sure that is a thing, for former pitcher Wade Davis.  He was sort of an after-thought in the Wil Myers-James Shields trade a few years ago, but he has excelled since the Royals have moved him into the bullpen.  Last season he was used in a setup role for stopper Greg Holland, but this year has ended up with the job as the team's closer.  Through the Division Series, Championship Series, and World Series games this year he has pitched 7 2/3 innings, without allowing a run, and striking out 13 batters.

So, let's get the card.....



Wade Davis was a pretty generous signer for card companies a few years back and this Triple Threads card is my absolute favorite.  First, let's start with the fact that this is a bat card?  When did Wade Davis ever take an at-bat?  Surprisingly, he is hitting .250 for his career with 2 hits in 8 at bats.  That's above both the Kozma Line (.150) and the Mendoza Line (.200).  Pretty impressive.  

The Triple Threads cards have almost always had a primarily horizontal design to their relic autograph cards, but Topps ditched that concept for one year in 2010 and went vertical.  I have a bunch of these and have always found it to be one of my favorite Triple Threads designs.  Just something different.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....